BiasedMilanFan3
dronte
Dante
The Franchise
the xcx
34 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How highly do you rate Allegri? - Page 2 Empty Re: How highly do you rate Allegri?

Post by DeviAngel Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:23 pm

baresi wrote:
DeviAngel wrote:
baresi wrote:I for one admire Allegri, the man is growing in my eyes by time, and every game he shows me why he has been labeled as the best coach in the league even when the likes of Mourinho were in Serie A.

I will write a very detailed reply on this matter, when I get in the mood and get the time for it, but I would dare say that TACTICALLY he is better than Ancelotti, he has some aspects he needs to improve on. But write down in details later.

I never rated Ancelotti lol

Alegri > Ancelotti
too bad, cause I would simply say Ancelotti is one of the best out there.

I understand that and I know why he brought u so many trophies but in my eyes ...

DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

How highly do you rate Allegri? - Page 2 Empty Re: How highly do you rate Allegri?

Post by Arquitecto Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Arquitecto wrote:Oh man this again....

I for one will not re-explain Allegri's Milan and how they play within the Serie A or any other team other than Barca in general as I'm sure you haven't watched Milan enough for that. So basically, how you label that Milan play always the same way... is incredibly incorrect. Milan play a relatively attacking game with high pressure and pressing and with preference in possession but very tactical off the ball movement and "think first, pass later" on ball possession. This is a very simplified version.

Here we have Barcelona, also known as the best team in the world, also known as by some as the best team of all time. So therefore, Allegri instead of going head on against them with a very limited to squad who are also riddled with injuries, he decides learn their weaknesses.

The first group stage game at Camp Nou involved Milan sitting deep in counter attacking positions while attempting to further capitalize on Pato's opener. Unfortunately, since our midfield does not possess the pace nor mobility to catalyze a counter, Milan has no other choice but to have their backline deep and midfield tracking back. Allegri's gameplan for the 1st game in the GS as stated was to observe Barca in various situations. And defensively, Milan were superb as their only goal in open play came from Pedro which was actually just a mistake by Abbiati while the 2nd was a incredible FK from Villa from a Cassano foul. It was a relatively defensive performance, but in the end it made sense. Notes on the match were that MvB wonderfully played a deep DM role while Cassano and Pato were used to support each other. Unfortunately it did not work given their lack of chemistry and failure to capitalize on their chances. But it had to be done given the injuries.

The 2nd match of the group stage involved Allegri's Milan playing their usual attacking and expansive football while pressing harder and pressuring their wider players. Barca were the better team and won 3-2 (although the penalty for them was incredibly soft as even Barca fans agree) but Milan certainly was not outplayed as fans and staff alike were satisfied with the performance. That day Milan found weaknesses in Barca's overall system.

The 1st leg at San Siro involved intense pressing by Milan yet eventually and understandably being outmatched by Barca in this trait, Allegri commanded the team to stay more deep again. Difference is, instead of chasing shadows after Barca players and have one man to mark Messi, Milan intelligently had the plan to anticipate oncoming runs from Messi and read Barca's game rather than chase after it. Our defense was incredibly compact and organized while Allegri seemed to have an inverted triangle for his midfield to counter Barca' triangular passing while the backline was relatively flat. Keep in mind it had to stay flat given Bonera's complete lack of defensive or attacking ability and Antonini's lack of defensive skill. Keeping the backline flat allowed Bonera and Antonini to have the coverage of Mexes and Nesta as this plan worked to great effect as it worked essentially as one cohesive defensive unit. The midfield was composed of Ambrosini, Seedorf and Nocerino as 2 of the 3 possess absolutely no pace which is why the were ordered to stay deeper and static while Nocerino's role is to traverse down his own side and combine with Prince Boateng whose job is to press the opposition and act as the TQ to Robinho and Ibra, both who played as SS's.

Why our attack did not work was because of Robinho's complete lack of support to Ibra and his inept off and on ball movement and decisions while Ibra was effective in his playmaking role as he created 3 wonderful chances sending Nocerino, Urby on goal and setting up Robinho for his world class miss.

How highly do you rate Allegri? - Page 2 Ibra-balls-received-
Zlatans wonderful passing game in the 1st leg.

Keep in mind this leg we were without Cassano, Pato, MvB, Abate, Silva, Merkel, and the DM partnership of Flamini and Gattuso (although they aren't as vital) all who are vital cogs in the system which is why Allegri HAD to compromise.

The 2nd half Milan pressed more effectively and played more attacking which embodies Allegris tre quadranti del sistema (which really means a 3 quadrant system [3 quadrants of play during the match]). So the 1st half involved anticipatory attacking positions while also anticipating Barca's attacking play if Milan's pressing fails. Coming back to the 2nd half, Milan played more risky and pressed higher with their midfield yet unfortunately this did not work to great effect as KPB and Nesta both had to come off for Mesbah and the ineffective Urby which compromised the system yet again.

All in all, Barca dominated the 1st leg, but plan was for Milan to only take their few chances while having a compact and cohesive defense. Allegri's tactics were SPOT ON. Unfortunately many of our players did not take their chances along with not capitalizing on the opportunities the system gave them.

How highly do you rate Allegri? - Page 2 Milan-Attacking-Direction

To counter your point on his one sided attacking play as here you can see the balance distinctly.

The 2nd leg was more of the same as in the 1st half, Milan had the midfield pressed higher while the backline was deeper in the anticipatory reading positions for Barca's play. Milan did fairly well to cope with the increasingly wider defense through Barca's play as Abate in particular was responsible of his dual role to thwart Barca's Cuenca and solidify the gaps within the box. Antonini on the other hand with his positioning compromised the otherwise solid backline many times which cost us a penalty and chances created from Barca.
In particular, Allegri made sure that the center backs would never be one on one with Messi, as he wanted to have one of the three withdrawn players (Seedorf, Ambrosini, Nocerino who all have the tendency to sit deep) force Messi wide, and give time for players to make recovering runs to get in between him and the goal.

How highly do you rate Allegri? - Page 2 WhoscoredStats

The 2nd half involved Milan to press even higher with more attacking and expansive play yet Mexes once again is at fault for not marking iniesta after the Messi deflection as he is only to blame for his school boy error. I for one do not consider this a legitimate chance created for Barca. An individual mistake it is.

Robinho this time around was actually more effective How highly do you rate Allegri? - Page 2 06CNK

Unlike the first horrorshow leg, he actually dropped deep and tracked back while keeping hold of his positioning for Ibra, yet unfortunately Zlatan was being even more heavily marked this time around and could only provide a few key passes and an assist.

Allegri's sole mistake of the tie was playing Nocerino instead of Aquilani for both matches as he was incredibly ineffective with his play while Aquilani had shown he can be effective against Barca with his solid performances against them in the group stages and even his small sub yesterday. KPB for all those geniuses wondering why he was subbed off, was poor yesterday. He failed to follow through with his dual role of pressing the opposition while vertically challenging them on the ball as most of the time he was horizontal and looked lost. Aquilani stabilized Milan's passing and was more effective. Although Prince can be forgiven due to Nocerino not providing his role of supporting him.

All in all, Allegri was 99% spot on and made displayed some very effective and intelligent tactical decisions and plays within the tie, yet it was our players lack of composure and lack of ability to follow through with the intelligent system provided (midfield is at fault here). Do I really need to name the chances created in open play and in front of the net? Barca were the better team, but marginally so. You cannot expect Milan to play like Valencia and Bilbao given how riddled this squad is with injuries or even then, with the starters alone.

For all those wondering why he doesn't change his formation. I don't need to mention how poor we are with a 4-3-3 given our squad limitations. Want proof? How about the 4-2-3-1? One word. Suicide. Choose any formation as it all comes down to Allegri's 4-3-1-2/4-1-2-1-2 as the single most effective formation for Milan.

I don't need to make excuses about SES's tackle in the box in the 2nd half of the 1st leg or Zlatan not being given a penalty yesterday (should have been given). The problem isn't primarily down to injuries. Its the complete lack of delivery provided to Allegri by the board as Galliani has failed to provided Allegri with the players needed to follow through with his system. Which is why he has had to compromise and start from scratch many many times. Like on the midfield is lacking any pace or mobility with their age, or how our LBs cannot defend and our RB is not much of an attacker (fullbacks needed for the system in order to provide the necessary width) I mean at least Galliani can provide some balance to the squad which obviously is lacking. I could go on. I mean could Galliani really not afford to keep Pirlo in his wages? All I see is Allegri receiving praise from fans and journalists alike (or Mou when voting for him in Manager of the year, or Pep praising him numerous times, or Trap, Sacchi, Cappello, Lippi, Hitzfeld).

The fact is he has made mistakes like anyone else but has time and time again shown to learn from them. His tactics have been one of the deciding factors in our successes this year as especially given our squad injuries and lack of balance. He can be blamed for some decisions earlier on in the season. But on a whole, he has been outstanding.

Quoting just so my long explanation doesn't go in vain.

And Hispano, Nocerino was INSANELY ineffective as only in the 1st leg he did his job well to press Iniesta yet the fact is against Barca and for Max's system you need more intelligent movement and composure along with at least contributing effectively. He was okay, I guess, but AA could have done much better. I could name the injured players, but then again....

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:25 pm

I'll comment on Nocerino tomorrow, I'd do it now but it's past midnight and I should be doing Physics. Razz
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Arq :bow:

Monster post.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Would have love to see Boateng next to Ibra or Maxi next to Ibra with Boateng just below them. Different strategy I know but Milan had it to cause more havoc on the Barca D'.

Aquilani instead of Noce isn't a bad call but it's just one I wouldn't recomend.

Last edited by Lord Hispano on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:29 pm

I respect Arq and he is great poster, but tbh I think that yesterday Nocerino did good job if you notice he was great in defense and when need he pressed the midfield . His role was to help the defense and when the ball is conquered he to be the first one to sprint in counter. And the move that he did how he kept the ball against 2 defenders is amazing not many DM's can do that .
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:35 pm

From a tactical standpoint he was spot on yesterday.

But i would really have to question his ability of motivating his players because i thought Milan dint try hard enough after that penalty before the stroke of half time which was unfortunately the wrong time to concede.

Well i would've thought Allegri would have made his pep talk to his players and Milan would have come all out attacking which i'll be fair to them they tried but that 3rd goal just killed the team of mentally.

Actually i dont understand why he subbed off Seedorf who i think was Milan's best player on the pitch and he actually did the sensible thing of hoofing it to Ibra and making use of his height which did result in Milan working out a no.of good attacking moves.Plus he played a brilliant diagonal ball if only the cross was accurate could have resulted in goal.LB was actually Barca's weakness yesterday.

I guess this would be Seedorf's last cl game..Great great player who can leave with his head held up high.I wouldnt consider it as a dissapointing end to his cl career.

On topic Allegri is a good coach ,he has the potential to be a great coach if he works on his motivational skills but to be fair to him there are a lot of old players in the squad who "could" have had an influence over his choices.Maybe in time he would get better in this aspect.

And once again i'll be fair to him on the being stubborn aspect.this is the best way Milan could play with these type of players.I'll actually judge his flexibility when Milan actually get some new young blood in the squad.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:54 pm

The Franchise wrote:You can expect Milan to press like Bilbao with the players they have..thats unrealistic.

+1... old men cant pressure 90 minutes nonstop, especially since its so rare in the italian game
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by dronte Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:44 pm

dostoevsky wrote:His substitutions are generally frustrating, however I can give an answer to Dronte's queries. It hinges on the point that Aquilani came on not for Boateng but Seedorf. Pato arrived for Boateng.

The crux of this is that Boateng essentially can't function as a CM in a game where we need to maintain a compact formation and facilitate a quick counter-attack. Seedorf was tiring and Aquilani was the natural replacement for Seedorf, a CM who can keep the ball better than anyone else we had on the pitch once our Dutch Master left the pitch and could theoretically launch the balls we needed to get in behind the defence from afar or to switch play quickly.

That Boateng was the midfielder to be sacrificed when Allegri wanted another striker on the pitch stems from this. With three forwards with low work rates, Allegri couldn't hold the midfield with a natural AM dropping deep and the last thing we needed was a rout. When Pato came on, it wasn't Robinho but Ibrahimovic who dropped into a sort of attacking midfield position most regularly, hoping that he might be able to open up an avenue into attack for Robinho and Pato to use their speed and individual technique to force something. Boateng, like Seedorf, has only just returned from injury and has had only a few games under his belt, so fatigue was likely an issue, Boateng hadn't done much in the second half to be honest. With Seedorf and Boateng off the pitch we didn't have a natural AM - Emanuelson is not who you need in that position when desperately trying to break down Barcelona - and with a striker needing to drop deep for the role, Allegri likely didn't want to sacrifice firepower up front.

I honestly don't believe Max was planning on making a third substitution, though I personally would have put on Emanuelson for Nocerino in the second half, so the Maxi sub was just due to Pato's injury and nothing else likely.

This post is conjecture for his reasoning based upon what I saw realised on the pitch, however I hope that was helpful. His substitutions weren't what I would have chosen, but at least I believe they were justifiable. Emanuelson staying on the bench was what I found to be a strange omission. I don't like him as an AM, however his pace and relative confidence on the ball in central midfield on the break would have been perfect.
Ow, it's a whole different story then, didn't remember well the subs I guess (I blame the beer).
Thanks for this nice post, made it clearer a bit, even though I still don't quite agree with Allegri's decisions. Especially that he let Robinho play the whole match. Also, I'd drop in Maxi Lopez or maybe even SES before Pato considering his tons of injuries, you cannot expect him to make miracles against Barcelona when he has just recovered.

And yea, I forget Emanuelson, I was kinda surprised he didn't even have a chance considering his good form.

dronte
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:58 pm

Lord Hispano wrote:Would have love to see Boateng next to Ibra or Maxi next to Ibra with Boateng just below them. Different strategy I know but Milan had it to cause more havoc on the Barca D'.

Aquilani instead of Noce isn't a bad call but it's just one I wouldn't recomend.

Maxi was actually quite good when he came on. In fact all of us Milan fans in general like Maxi as he has great all round skills and is known to perform in big games since his Catania days.

I agree Allegri should have tried it.

Off the record I actually want Maxi playing a 9 role with Ibra even deeper in his position and Prince playing his usual TQ role.

DeviAngel wrote:I respect Arq and he is great poster, but tbh I think that yesterday Nocerino did good job if you notice he was great in defense and when need he pressed the midfield . His role was to help the defense and when the ball is conquered he to be the first one to sprint in counter. And the move that he did how he kept the ball against 2 defenders is amazing not many DM's can do that .

Devi, thank you very much for the kind words my friend.

But I have too disagree with you here. Nocerino actually plays a B2B role for us and not a DM role. In both legs he did press efficiently but then again most of our players are required to do so. He does provide energy, but Milan with Allegri's system needs equal contribution from all as he clearly was our weak spot and struggled against Iniesta. I can understand considering how nervous he must be as otherwise he is underrated in his skill. But he was not the man for the match. Plus he link up with Prince as he should have. Aquilani was the man needed.

spanky489 wrote:
The Franchise wrote:You can expect Milan to press like Bilbao with the players they have..thats unrealistic.

+1... old men cant pressure 90 minutes nonstop, especially since its so rare in the italian game

Oh come on now Spanky do I really have to name all the clubs in Serie A who press relentlessly?

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by manlio Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:24 am

He's a good coach ,I like him.

manlio
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Sun May 06, 2012 9:40 pm

:coffee:
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by pUsHa Sun May 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Worst big game coach in the world .... Devi must be kidding himself by calling this idiot better than Ancelotti ...
pUsHa
pUsHa
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Potential Sun May 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Oh ease off, this guy won every big match last season, although I agree this season he has been terrible; one cannot but question his choices and to be completely honest... I'll give him another season, but the management has to take some blame; telling him not to play Aquilani... only getting free transfers...
Potential
Potential
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:27 am

Will face the sack sooner or later.Its clear that B&G have set him up for the sack.Atleast i'm pretty sure that Milan will have a new coach come next season.

Feel sorry for him now tbh.lol.His situation is worse than Leonardo's three years ago.Even being a puppet to the owners in this case would probably not work in his favour this time round i'm afraid.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by inderbaby Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:30 pm

I think he is a good coach but nothing more! He had a great squad compared to the rest of serie a when he won the league but I don't rate him much! A great club like Milan need a great coach! :coffee:

inderbaby
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Axed in the upcoming season?
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:38 pm

The xcx wrote:Axed in the upcoming season?
Anything but, CL qualification was a reasonable objective with what everyone thought was a weak squad. After moderate investment, the squad will be back in the title race next year as well as being a very serious CL challenger.

Think about it, we've lost Nesta, TS, Ibra, Cassano, Gattuso, Seedorf, Zambrotta, Inzaghi, van Bommel, Maxi Lopes, Emanuelson, Pato (winter) and De Jong for half the season due to injury. AND still we're 3rd place in a very, very competitive Serie A with a much more youthful squad than before.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 pm

The xcx wrote:Axed in the upcoming season?

Nope Galliani has said countless times that he will stay until the end of his contract (which is June 2014)

Im really proud of his performance this season, with a squad so bad, it makes the dark era of Milan look like Barca's squad during the glory years. Having one of the worst starts in Serie A since 25 years, and bringing us to the top 3 now. Not to mention his deployment of youth, MDS and ES having a good season. With Niang and Cristante soon to be ready to take up the mantle next season, he outdid himself this year
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by djfawnz Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:48 pm

its true bro. Allegri has proven to be a Top Tactician. he did wonders @ Cagliari, won the scudetto, then 2nd place and now hes working his magic with a not so good Milan. Also, big thumbs up for Milan for not giving him the boot early in the season and believing in his work and squad
djfawnz
djfawnz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sun May 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Abate for Kevin Constant :bow:
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19, 2013 10:01 pm

allegri suck...

in crucial matches he really cocks up... really with all due respect...

would have loved to see new coach bringing us technical football that got us glories in old times..

i am against the idea of keeping him in milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun May 19, 2013 10:02 pm

So is he staying for next season?
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19, 2013 10:05 pm

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:So is he staying for next season?

berlusconi says he will go... galliani says he will stay so nobody knows..

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:22 pm

:coffee:

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:38 pm

I have always Rated him very high tbh

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next