Fahim89
RedOranje
Art Morte
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

No big spending in summer - Page 2 Empty Re: No big spending in summer

Post by poolsupporter Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Our scouting needs to see some major improvements in my opinion. I don't think it's necessary to spend billions in the summer. Furthermore, one has to take into account the kind of players we can attract. We need to be smart this coming window, both in terms of prices as well as quality.

poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Emaharg Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:40 am

I think with Europa Qualification secured and 4th spot a very slim chance players like Shelvey and Coates need to be given a run of games until the end of the season.

Current Squad:
Carraghers age is catching up with him we have all seen it this season while he organises the defence well someone is going to need to step up when he retires and take this role as the mouth of the defence.
Shelvey has shown when playing he has very good passing and composure on the ball, he is a bit slow and doesn't have an amazing work rate but he has a quality pass. Seen a lot of complaints about Charlie Adam or Rawk maybe a decent replacement?

What Liverpool need next season:
Carroll is not going to thrive at Liverpool ever the midfield play a short passing game and are amazing at it the build up play along the ground is what Liverpool has been best at and it suits Suarez but not Carroll. Carroll needs pacey wingers and decent crossers while Suarez likes to be part of the build up play along the ground and make openings in and around the box. Suarez's style works better with how the team plays but maybe needs to be playing with someone who is a real finisher.
Pacey Winger: Kuyt is not a Winger and not exactly the most creative player also getting quite old. Maybe Johnson could be tried here?
Clinical Finisher: Play with Suarez as a SS needs good feet and okay in the air.

Liverpool need a direction for next season they play a combination of everything and it's not working, Liverpools midfield is very good at passing and working play up in and around the box they can't play long balls and shouldn't as it only suits Carroll and no on else. Suarez needs the ball at his feet in the penalty box that is where he scares teams.

Possible formations
Reina
Kelly Agger Skertl Enrique
Lucas
Henderson Gerrard
Suarez
New Striker

Reina
Kelly Agger Skertl Enrique
Lucas Gerrard
New winger Suarez Downing
Striker

I know a lot of you will disagree but just wanted to get some points out and hear what you guys have to say. Been watching Liverpool a lot this season as they mostly play a different day to Arsenal, really interested in hearing what you guys think it the problem and what needs to be done to fix it.
Emaharg
Emaharg
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:50 am

Carroll's play involves a lot more than just getting on the end of crosses... as we've seen he actually performs better when the ball is played to his feet a lot than when the wingers simply take on their man and whip or float in a cross for him. The myth about him only being good in the air comes from his size and really needs to die.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:48 pm

RedOranje wrote:Carroll's play involves a lot more than just getting on the end of crosses... as we've seen he actually performs better when the ball is played to his feet a lot than when the wingers simply take on their man and whip or float in a cross for him. The myth about him only being good in the air comes from his size and really needs to die.
Exactly. Most of his goals this season have come from his feet. His aerial prowess is seen mostly in buildup play, flick-ons and knock-downs to other attackers. Did you watch the Arsenal game? If so, you will have noticed a tendency for the midfield to occasionally knock the ball forward for Kuyt and Suarez. They occasionally tried to run onto these balls, but did poorly trying to win them in the air. This is where Carroll flourishes, and has provided opportunities in the last few games. I mention this, because it is an example that we do not play a pure "Barca-esque" ground passing game. Carroll has shown considerable improvement in 2012, and I'm hoping he gets a good run in the team now that 4th place is practically out of reach.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:06 pm

http://tomkinstimes.com/2012/03/hopelessly-hopeful-hopefully-not-hopeless/

Worth a read. Some interesting facts in there, but it ultimately comes to the conclusion that a striker is much needed.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:17 pm

I think the foundations of our squad is good. We have a brilliant defense and top 3 DM in the world coming back. It's the attacking 5 that need a shuffle.

I think we are 3 players away. But from those 3 players, 2 must be top class. A Goal scoring machine and a top class wide player, plus a CM.

That's our top 3 priorities in summer. I think realistically, Huntelaar should be our number 1 target. He is already playing for an EL team, would relish rejoining with Suarez, and his wages won't be a problem.

I also wish we would give Shelvey more time, I really want to see whether we'll need a new CM or will Jonjo be ready next season? Since we are in EL for sure, I don't expect him to go on loan. We'll have a busy season next season, and we need 3 more bodies in the team especially with Maxi and one of Kuyt/Carroll certain to leave.

As I said, 2-3 top class attacking players, is all it takes.

Robinson will be Enrique's back up, Kelly back up to Gleninho :bow:, and hopefully Agger-Skrtel will continue their monstrous partnership.

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Exactly what ive been saying Sepi
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Jefferson Farfan is available for free this summer... Maybe we don't have to spend that much.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:28 am

Bought too many players that can create last summer... thinking Suarez, Carroll and Kuyt would do the job. Not the case. We NEED a finisher, and we NEED a QUALITY winger.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:30 am

Reina
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
Lucas Gerrard
X Suarez X
X

Fill those 3 X's in, the rest is a strong as spine. The only dissapointing to come out of this season is our inability to score. If we address that in the summer with let's say, someone like Hunterlaar or Cavani (highly doubt we can get the latter) we can actually fight for the league next season. I mean, we've only been "dominated" in 5 games max.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:26 am

I like what you have there ynwa and I couldn't agree with you more but one change I'd like to make in that

---------------Reina---------------
--Glen--Skrtel--Agger--Enrique--
---------------Lucas----------------
--------Gerrard---......X....----------
--.....X......--------------Suarez---
-------------.....X.......------------
With Suarez, ST, and RW interchanging positions

or

------------------Reina-------------------
---Glen----Skrtel----Agger---Enrique--
-----------......X....---Lucas---------------
---....X......----Gerrard------Suarez---
--------------.....X......-----------------

With Gerrard, Suarez, and RW interchanging positions

We need three players to get to the top and I've said this a million times (and a lot of other agree with this): ST, RW, and CM (two of the three have to be world class)
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:56 am

How did Arsenal end up signing PODOLOSKI in the middle of the season Shocked . . . . .

@Messiah: its sad mate your dream is lost! i myself am a little bobbed down cause i really felt it would have been a great bit of business for us! !

Imagine RVP & Podoloski damnn! ! affraid
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Arsenal haven't signed Podolski. There are merely reports that they have agreed, or are close to agreeing, a deal for him. Nothing substantial and nothing official has come out yet.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 pm

ynwa wrote:Reina
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
Lucas Gerrard
X Suarez X
X

Fill those 3 X's in, the rest is a strong as spine. The only dissapointing to come out of this season is our inability to score. If we address that in the summer with let's say, someone like Hunterlaar or Cavani (highly doubt we can get the latter) we can actually fight for the league next season. I mean, we've only been "dominated" in 5 games max.

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:I like what you have there ynwa and I couldn't agree with you more but one change I'd like to make in that

---------------Reina---------------
--Glen--Skrtel--Agger--Enrique--
---------------Lucas----------------
--------Gerrard---......X....----------
--.....X......--------------Suarez---
-------------.....X.......------------

With Suarez, ST, and RW interchanging positions

or

------------------Reina-------------------
---Glen----Skrtel----Agger---Enrique--
-----------......X....---Lucas---------------
---....X......----Gerrard------Suarez---
--------------.....X......-----------------

With Gerrard, Suarez, and RW interchanging positions

We need three players to get to the top and I've said this a million times (and a lot of other agree with this): ST, RW, and CM (two of the three have to be world class)

Well, no offence to your guys' personal views, but these sort of arrangements would mean benching three players (Carroll, Hendo, Downing) worth £75m in transfer fees (35 + 20 + 20) and if you think LFC are a club that can happily afford doing that then okay.....
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:56 am

Art Morte wrote:Well, no offence to your guys' personal views, but these sort of arrangements would mean benching three players (Carroll, Hendo, Downing) worth £75m in transfer fees (35 + 20 + 20) and if you think LFC are a club that can happily afford doing that then okay.....

?

I rate Henderson highly, infact, I see him as our best prospect at the club, but he's definitely not ready for the starting XI over Lucas and/or Gerrard. He may play as a RM/RW for us, but he's not ready to join the spine of the team just yet.

Downing is well... Downing, and should be relegated to a squad player. A 32 year old is superior in every way and he has dodgy knees...

Carroll is simply not ready for the starting XI. He's done nothing to prove he warrants a guaranteed starting XI position. He may be improving, but he's definitely going to have to improve vastly for his sake at the club.

@ messia: I honestly don't believe we need another central midfielder. If we buy a right winger/midfielder, Henderson will be moved in the centre, and with Leiva back next season we should be okay in that department.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:58 am

Fahim89 wrote:How did Arsenal end up signing PODOLOSKI in the middle of the season Shocked . . . . .

He will only be allowed to move in the summer window if reports are correct. You can't transfer when there's no transfer window.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:56 am

@Red & ynwa: the opinion in the Arsenal forum is that they have signed him but the player will come to Arsenal after the end of the season & would continue playing for his current club till then . . don't know the truth about it but that seems to be the current consensus in the gunners forum!

Anyhow good for them if it happens though! might clear our way for Hazard Razz . . . . Wenger spending more then 10m on two players might just be too big a stretch . . thus takes away slight competition smoking
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:26 am

Key word there is "opinion".
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:41 am

RedOranje wrote:Key word there is "opinion".

Yes sir not denying its a rumor but it just seems to be a solid one . .
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Wenger has said the deal isn't done yet. (Though the actual progress is unknown.) I'm curious to see how he is played, if it does go through. (LW or ST) Could Wenger be preparing for Life after RVP? Razz

If this does go through, I would be shocked to see them move for Hazard, too. Assuming they don't change systems/formations, that leaves them with Gervinho, Walcott, Ox and Podolski competing for two positions. Adding Hazard to that seems an unnecessary and expensive addition. TBH though, if we are going to make one expensive signing this summer, I don't necessarily want it to be Hazard. Unless some sort of deal involving Joe Cole can be worked, I think there are other, equally good (and cheaper) options. These include Andre Ayew, Jefferson Farfan (on a free), Junior Hoilett (free, but unsure if he is really the quality we need), and Iker Muniain (on whose bandwagon I have recently taken up semi-permanent residence) just to name a few.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:42 am

I hope the board understands the necessity of quality signings during the summer, because obviously this squad isn't cutting it. And it's a Herculean task of getting of mediocrity once fallen into it.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:09 am

Again. A signing uptop is all we need.

We went for creative players last summer... and we've created a lot this season. [We signed 3 players from the top 7 chances created in Downing, Adam and Henderson.]

Get a finisher, and it'll be a different story from this season to next season. We put a lot of faith in Suarez, Kuyt and Carroll and it's clear that they're not cutting it. Carroll is not ready, Kuyt was moved to the right for a reason and Suarez is more of a creative player than he is a finisher.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:14 pm

I would hope to sign a winger (or two) and a striker. I don't like the idea of writing off an expensive signing, but sitting him on the bench is no less of a waste of that money. We have consistently refused to play him for so much of this season that we look set to waste that investment whether we buy a new striker or not. If we're not going to play the lad, there's no choice but to go out and get someone who will fit into that #9 role. Suarez is not a #9 and he doesn't have the squad around him to play the false9 role effectively. Kenny has essentially been attempting to do in the last few games, playing Suarez as the advanced forward flanked by some combination of Downing, Kuyt and Bellamy. A false9 works when you have goal-scoring wingers/wide-forwards. For example, Barca can do it thanks to Pedro, Villa, Hernandez and Tello getting forward and looking to score. In our case, the wingers were brought in to create chances for the #9... Effectively we're asking them to perform the opposite role that we bought them for. The two players that fit the false9 style are Bellamy and Kuyt. However, Bellamy's knees and age have kept him from being more of an influence, and Kuyt's form has been woeful barring several matches.

Tbh, this is what has frustrated me the most in the last few matches. We continue to play this false9-ish style (In fairness, I don’t think it’s intended to be a “false9” style. I think it is merely the consequence of coupling Suarez’s playing style with playing him as the most advanced forward/lone-striker.), with Suarez trying to create from the most advanced position regardless of a lack of players that cater to the system (i.e. woeful finishing ability/goal-scoring form). I think part of our problem is a lack of identity up front partly resulting from a carousel of formations and faces in attack. I still maintain that Carroll could be the answer up top, but we seem utterly unwilling to give him a prolonged run in the squad. With the current personnel, I think playing Suarez as a lone forward is a mistake. He is capable of creating something amazing, but more likely is that the opposing defense will focus on stopping him as he is really the only threat. If you pair Suarez up front with a goal-scoring winger like Sturridge, Muniain or Walcott (when on form), it could work. This is why Bellamy has had periods of effectiveness for the club this season. He fits the mold the best. However, he isn’t a long-term answer, or even a short-term answer tbh. He has difficulty playing 90 mins in consistent matches and most likely won’t be a regular starter for Liverpool in the future. An essential need for the club is a player in Bellamy’s mold, who plays in a wide position, but tends to get on the end of chances.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:16 pm

I'd be fine with signing plenty if it didn't mean living beyond our club's means.

I'd rather take 5th place and +/- 0 profit than 4th place and £50m loss.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Art Morte wrote:I'd be fine with signing plenty if it didn't mean living beyond our club's means.

I'd rather take 5th place and +/- 0 profit than 4th place and £50m loss.

At this point we'll be lucky with being in the top half by the end of the year.
And I would agree with you on not spending more than we make if we had coming of age youngsters in the academy. Most promising ones still have 2-3 years before making any type of impact in the first team. Although I would love for Kenny to start giving Morgan, Sterling, Suso, Coady, etc gametime this season since we don't have much to play for.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:51 pm

with so many free transfers this summer it might b good move and buying youngsters is good I think
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next