+3
beatrixasdfghjk.
dmize
guest7
7 posters

Go down

FAT32 to NTFS Empty FAT32 to NTFS

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:53 am

can u guys give me any advice, regarding formatting external HDD from FAT32 to NTFS without having to loose data. i think its not possible is it? i mean changing from FAT32 to NTFS without looosing data because after all its full format converstion ...

Back to top Go down

FAT32 to NTFS Empty Re: FAT32 to NTFS

Post by guest7 Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:22 am

You can't change without reformatting the harddisk as far as I am aware
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Se7en wrote:You can't change without reformatting the harddisk as far as I am aware

thanks man, i cant believe it that big mkv files is too big sized to be transfferred to FAT32 external HDD,

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Se7en wrote:You can't change without reformatting the harddisk as far as I am aware

This
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:15 am

Just back up the files somewhere, format it, and move them back :L.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:39 am

guys, is there is any ways to like move this bloody mkv files to FAT32 external HDD.... i have tried so many times im pissed off it doesnt let me .. thanks for help

i suggest if u guys were to buy external HDD, always make sure its in NTFS because once u got truckload of backupfiles like videos/music/docs data, worth 300 Giggs then, its pain in the a...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 am

beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:Just back up the files somewhere, format it, and move them back :L.

i want to but i hate to wait to make 300 gigs worth of backup files... its crazy...

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:40 am

It's not possible. The cluster size of data on each filesystem only allows you to convert from NTFS to FAT32 without losing data. No way to do the opposite.

What beat said above. Backup somewhere else, then transfer.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:57 am

JespSwe wrote:

thanks man, i cant believe it that big mkv files is too big sized to be transfferred to FAT32 external HDD,
Use winrar or a similar prog to split the content in many small parts eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Immortal Babun wrote:
JespSwe wrote:

Use winrar or a similar prog to split the content in many small parts eco smile

lol why i didnt think of that.... yeah.. winrar or hjsplit...

but seriously anyway i gotta convert HDD anyway so...

thanks guys... for kind help...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:55 pm

poolsupporter wrote:It's not possible. The cluster size of data on each filesystem only allows you to convert from NTFS to FAT32 without losing data. No way to do the opposite.

What beat said above. Backup somewhere else, then transfer.

thanks man...

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:32 am

I'd suggest you get a second HD in a sensible format (I'd go for EXT4, of course, but as long as you have Windoze, NTFS is the way to go atm), transfer all the data to that and then reformat the original HD. The advantage is - you'd have a backup of the data then right away as one never knows how long a HD will keep (they aren't immortal either after all).

BTW, I hate, hate, hate Windoze FAT32 to NTFS 2276801876 ATM I have to use a Win7 notebook as my mainboard of my Linux machine is defective and I somehow feel like I got amputated -_- Please keep your fingers crossed that my proper machine will be repaired tomorrow!
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:15 pm

JespSwe wrote:can u guys give me any advice, regarding formatting external HDD from FAT32 to NTFS without having to loose data. i think its not possible is it? i mean changing from FAT32 to NTFS without looosing data because after all its full format converstion ...

What is the size of the external? below 4 GiB forget about it. If larger and you do not have huge files over 2GiB to save on it then there is really no need to go to ntfs.

But if you have to use a disk partition software like Acronis
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:16 pm

rwo power wrote:I'd suggest you get a second HD in a sensible format (I'd go for EXT4, of course, but as long as you have Windoze, NTFS is the way to go atm), transfer all the data to that and then reformat the original HD. The advantage is - you'd have a backup of the data then right away as one never knows how long a HD will keep (they aren't immortal either after all).

BTW, I hate, hate, hate Windoze FAT32 to NTFS 2276801876 ATM I have to use a Win7 notebook as my mainboard of my Linux machine is defective and I somehow feel like I got amputated -_- Please keep your fingers crossed that my proper machine will be repaired tomorrow!
Linux do not need malware the users fuk it up themselves
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Spooony wrote:Linux do not need malware the users fuk it up themselves
Hardware that breaks down can just happen without user interference. -_-
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:48 am

rwo power wrote:
Spooony wrote:Linux do not need malware the users fuk it up themselves
Hardware that breaks down can just happen without user interference. -_-
NTFS is a filing system aka it is software. Linus, Windows are software. Not easy to mess up hardware with software unless you are designing the next stuxnet worm
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:41 am

ROFL. I thought you implied in the post before that that it was somehow my fault that my hardware blew up and thus my Linux machine got messed up. Fortunately now after a heart transplant (new mainboard & CPU), my machine is up and running again and the windoze notebook is back on its shelf Razz
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:45 pm

rwo power wrote:ROFL. I thought you implied in the post before that that it was somehow my fault that my hardware blew up and thus my Linux machine got messed up. Fortunately now after a heart transplant (new mainboard & CPU), my machine is up and running again and the windoze notebook is back on its shelf Razz
Nooo lol it was a joke lol
But the biggest enemy is usually the one behind the keyboard. Linux is free so I say make use of it but I will install it in a virtual machine normally. So I run it from within windows. I use both to my advantage
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:37 pm

Well, I use Linux since Kernel 0.99.13, and before that I had SCO Unix when it still had to be bought for around 2000 DM for the OS only. So you see, I use Unix/Linux from deepest conviction Very Happy
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:05 am

I use it for a honeypot
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:46 am

Spooony wrote:
JespSwe wrote:can u guys give me any advice, regarding formatting external HDD from FAT32 to NTFS without having to loose data. i think its not possible is it? i mean changing from FAT32 to NTFS without looosing data because after all its full format converstion ...

What is the size of the external? below 4 GiB forget about it. If larger and you do not have huge files over 2GiB to save on it then there is really no need to go to ntfs.

well my external is 300 Gigs.. and files are over 2 GB... thing is its just mkv files u know like some Blue ray ripped files like which is around from 4 gb to over 4 gbs... and i wanted to transfer from my normal PC HD to external HD then it notifies me that mkv files are too big to be transferred to external HD while i had like around more than half of space left in external HDD.. the reason file cant be tranferred i saw from net that its because my external HDD is FAT32 hence limits me to transfer big files more than 4 GB to be transferred...

and that totally sucked... so i mean i still have this problem so any advice would be welcome. i thank u guys... i am thinking of using Hjsplit or winrar but man that takes awful lot of time u know cause i have like around 60 or 70 gigs of mkv files. or its ok man i m gonna buy new externall HDD anyway and will get that f.. k converted to NTFS before any problems arise

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:47 am

thanks heaps for some advice rwo power and spoony

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooony Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:45 am

JespSwe wrote:
Spooony wrote:

well my external is 300 Gigs.. and files are over 2 GB... thing is its just mkv files u know like some Blue ray ripped files like which is around from 4 gb to over 4 gbs... and i wanted to transfer from my normal PC HD to external HD then it notifies me that mkv files are too big to be transferred to external HD while i had like around more than half of space left in external HDD.. the reason file cant be tranferred i saw from net that its because my external HDD is FAT32 hence limits me to transfer big files more than 4 GB to be transferred...

and that totally sucked... so i mean i still have this problem so any advice would be welcome. i thank u guys... i am thinking of using Hjsplit or winrar but man that takes awful lot of time u know cause i have like around 60 or 70 gigs of mkv files. or its ok man i m gonna buy new externall HDD anyway and will get that f.. k converted to NTFS before any problems arise
Nah. Just use acronis. Get hiron boot cd it will be on there
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.15.1.zip

Use the convert to ntfs option. Any uncertainty just ask. Be glad to help
Spooony
Spooony
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content