Post by urbaNRoots Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Gil, I see what you did there Neutral

urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Wenger Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Wenger Appreciation Thread

Post by che Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Iceman wrote:

Arsenal currently have 3 more points than we had at this stage last season, having played the equivalent opponents.
I don't see how that bit in red fits in with everything. If anything, we have more points than we had last season

hardly equivalent opponents, pretty sure you only played 4 fixtures equivalent of last year (newcastle, chelsea, blackburn and west brom) and while you did better in those than last year, rest of the points came from playing relegation fodder at home, a luxury you didn't really have last year, and considering arsenal's annual meltdown comes considering time rather than opponents i wouldn't be celebrating just yet

and in any case, how did last year turn out... barely finished fourth, and that while playing substantially weaker man utd and man city
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:23 pm

no, we comfortably finished 4th
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:24 pm

che wrote:
Iceman wrote:

Arsenal currently have 3 more points than we had at this stage last season, having played the equivalent opponents.
I don't see how that bit in red fits in with everything. If anything, we have more points than we had last season

hardly equivalent opponents, pretty sure you only played 4 fixtures equivalent of last year (newcastle, chelsea, blackburn and west brom) and while you did better in those than last year, rest of the points came from playing relegation fodder at home, a luxury you didn't really have last year, and considering arsenal's annual meltdown comes considering time rather than opponents i wouldn't be celebrating just yet

and in any case, how did last year turn out... barely finished fourth, and that while playing substantially weaker man utd and man city

*Equivalent opponents =/= same opponents. They mean in terms of where they stood in the league by the end of the previous season. It's pretty hard to play against Blackpool this season since they're relegated and all, no?

We played against the same number of newly promoted teams and relegation fodder as last season, but we came out with three more points even though we were supposedly doomed for relegation ourselves.
Considering that, unlike every year, we actually started off poorly in this one, I'd say that taking the trend of the previous ones wouldn't turn out to be such a wise decision; The trend is different to the one that Gil made so infamous with his frequent posts of The Arsenal Calendar.

Speaking of last year, Arsenal were doing fantastically until it came to that dreadful CC match where everything just crumbled afterwards. Again, it wasn't similar to the trends of the other seasons as we fell apart much sooner, so taking a "time-line" to decide when we'll do well and when we'll fall isn't going to work as well as it has done beforehand. City and United have improved? Well, what other teams have fared isn't relevant to our situation; at least, it shouldn't be relevant to your judgment....I thought you were saying that our meltdown comes considering time, not opponents?

Last edited by Iceman on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:27 pm

RealGunner wrote:no, we comfortably finished 4th
+1

We actually fell from second place. We were under no pressure when it came to the CL spots; it was only a matter of avoiding a meaningless qualifier.
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by che Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Iceman wrote:

City and United have improved? Well, what other teams have fared isn't relevant to our situation; at least, it shouldn't be relevant to your judgment....I thought you were saying that our meltdown comes considering time, not opponents?

of course it's relevant, do you think you're going to beat city away 3:0 this year? and yes, the meltdown does come considering time, except this year in the second half of the season you'll have to be dealing with stoke away, liverpool away, sunderland away for a start, right when cl knockouts start... these are inarguably tougher games than playing these opponents at home as you did last year in the second half of the season, so you can see why someone might think you'll drop more points
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:54 pm

Oh no, we'll definitely drop points. We obviously won't keep this form going on forever; but what I'm trying to say is that you cannot judge this Arsenal team in relation to past ones. If you keep on using the history of previous Arsenal teams to judge this one, which has so many differences to these ones, then you'll always end up with the same results. But this team should not be judged based on the past of the other teams.
It's like trying to judge Arteta by how Fabregas used to play for us. They're two different players, and this here is a different team.
We have Gervinho, Ramsey, Arteta, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Szczesny and RVP all in the starting XI, and these players have barely played with each other together.

I'm straying from my point, so I'll try and be a bit more concise:
This is different. I know we've said this so many times, but the team that has been playing for us has too many new faces, and too many missing ones, for us to try and say that it's the same one. I can't foresee the future, and neither can any of us, but there's a different vibe in this team. It's silly to say we'll achieve something this year, but as a fan I can only hope; but it's just as silly to say that this team will crumble like the past ones too. That's what I'm saying

A month ago we were definitely going to get relegated, and were in crisis mode. Today we are top of the group in the CL and the most in form team in the EPL; only four points off of 4th.

Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Iceman wrote: only four points off of 4th.

*Three
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:10 pm

omarish wrote:Most underrated manager this decade

Spends nothing still manages to keep Arsenal as a European force

He won manager of the decade. Rolling Eyes

Undeservedly so anyway.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:24 am

Gil wrote:9 wins in 11 games.

Form team in the League atm along with Newcastle and Shitty even with his 2nd best player missing all season.

Only 3 points behind fourth too.

Where is that Arsenal rollercoaster chart?
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:52 am

RealGunner wrote:no, we comfortably finished 4th
Yeah, and we would have finished second without referee errors :coffee:.

Wenger Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Prem-10-11-Long-table-650x389

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:56 am

1 of the reasons I'v given up on GL' football knowledge is the mass bashing AW took 2 months ago. Som of da stuff truly unbelievable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:07 pm

che wrote:
Iceman wrote:

barley finished fourth? We were cheated out of third, it's like everyone forgets the Aston Villa game.

EarlyPrototype wrote:

Undeservedly so anyway.

Wenger Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Jackie-chan-meme

also, Blue and Che,
Wenger Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Gtfo_RE_We_dont_say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s320x319-117211-580

we are here to appreciate :coffee:
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:54 pm

ali8775 wrote:
che wrote:
Iceman wrote:

barley finished fourth? We were cheated out of third, it's like everyone forgets the Aston Villa game.

EarlyPrototype wrote:

Undeservedly so anyway.

also, Blue and Che,
Wenger Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Gtfo_RE_We_dont_say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s320x319-117211-580

arsene wenger is a great manager and kudos to the way he keeps them competitive not only in the league but in the cl.. its just that final stretch where they fail... btw you think he deserves manager of the decade of the likes of saf,pepe and mourinho>? bounce
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:56 pm

when i was young i used to think that arsene wenger was this evil genius who had somehow convinced the owners to incporporate his own name in to the club name so that he will always be the manager and not get sacked Razz
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:33 pm

diptiman wrote:
ali8775 wrote:
che wrote:
Iceman wrote:

EarlyPrototype wrote:

Undeservedly so anyway.

also, Blue and Che,

arsene wenger is a great manager and kudos to the way he keeps them competitive not only in the league but in the cl.. its just that final stretch where they fail... btw you think he deserves manager of the decade of the likes of saf,pepe and mourinho>? bounce

again, you need to see what Arsene did , he took a mid table team, and made them giants, did a feat only one other manager has ever done, and took a team to a new stadium and with limited resources kept them in competition!
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:44 pm

:bow:
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:45 pm

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:50 pm

What's he done? hmm

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:What's he done? hmm
Turned Anfield into his second home :bow:
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:46 pm

Wenger :bow:

Arsenal muscling and edging out Man Utd at Old Trafford. :bow:

That grit and steel, that will to win :bow:
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:15 pm

REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:45 am

Has become the first manager to lose 50 games in CL

What a man rofl
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:45 am

Mr Nick09 wrote:Has become the first manager to lose 50 games in CL

What a man rofl

He's awful. And wait for the Wenger-injury crisis to hit Arsenal.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:03 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:Has become the first manager to lose 50 games in CL

What a man rofl

How many CL games has he managed though? And who else comes close to that number apart from SAF?
Pretty weak there, Nick.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Great manager put past his prime.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois