Great Leader Sprucenuce
TheRedStag
LeSwagg James
BarrileteCosmico
dostoevsky
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Classical Music Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Classical Music Appreciation Thread

Post by dmize Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:02 am

dostoevsky wrote:
Even if people just post the Four Seasons, Ode to Joy or other insanely popular pieces it at least gives me the excuse to keep updating and I can cover less celebrated or really obscure composers like Penderecki or Ligeti. Just so long as it doesn't appear that I'm just talking to myself. Very Happy

How bout this:

used to be able to play most of it at one point too. I'm sure it's probably considered an easy to play song though?

dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Classical Music Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Classical Music Appreciation Thread

Post by The Nature Boy Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:25 am

my 2 favorites:

and

The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:00 am

Some great additions and thank you all for your contributions.

I wish to introduce a lesser known Russian and Soviet composer, Nikolai Miaskovsky, a composer most readily recognised for his impressive symphonic output, however I wish primarily to highlight his Cello Concerto, a truly sublime composition. Unfortunately the finest rendition by Mstislav Rostropovich is unavailable on youtube in a form which does it justice. Two releases exist, however only one drawn from the Russian Archives which includes a man coughing over the recording for the entire performance is available on youtube. Instead I hope this will suffice:

Secondly, one of my favourite Piano sonatas, Franz Liszt's Sonata in B Minor. The other parts can be found in the links to the side of the video.

dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:45 am

I was just sent this amazing performance and thought I'd share it. Truly marvellous; getting her signature is now a top priority.

dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Bump.

Introducing Gustavo Dudamel, the man with the hair to match Puyol, and boasting one of the most marvelous projects and orchestras in the world: the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra, featuring a truly astounding collection of young artists.

dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Cant have you seem like are speaking to yourself now can we dost?

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:25 pm

Some stuff I could find on youtube that I enjoy:

Not the best rendition in the world, but the other versions were all cut in 5 pieces.

Cool thread guys!
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Fantastic post GBS, I particularly loved the Sinfonietta which I wasn't acquainted with and the Scriabin. Prokofiev meanwhile is quite simply always amazing.

Thanks for posting as well Mole, though I'm not a Haydn fan lol. Now redundant positive reps for both of you. Smile
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:07 am

Zealous has returned!

Cue epic music. Cool

He deserves nothing but the best to herald his return, so I present Pierre Boulez and the Vienna Philharmonic's rendition of Stravinsky's Firebird.

dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:53 am

I always like Wagner’s music… the epic feeling was so appealing to me
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:57 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA_VGeC5ecU

indian classical .. lyrics are a bit weird
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:47 am

i dont listen tp classical music (its too cultural for me Razz ) but i used this for my legal assignment and i really liked it

fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:39 am

Bump.

This has been ignored for a long, long time, however I haven't posted any Penderecki in this version of the thread yet. I'll go for something more listenable than my last post concerning Penderecki, as he's quite diverse and this side of him should be shown.

Also diptiman, I'm sorry I let this thread drop down, however I really enjoyed the piece you posted, an intriguing genre to explore! Thumbs up
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:44 am

I don't listen to classical music that much, but I love this song. And here are two other songs by the same composer/artist. Sakamoto is a multi-talented genius...

Last edited by Thimmy on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:16 am

I hadn't heard of this artist before, but thanks for posting Thimmy, a wonderfully relaxing and reflective piece.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by anirudhkitt Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi dostoevsky:

I love exploring new types of music and i will definitely have my eye on this side of the forum. I am not sure if these are something you will like but personally i love these two:

i sincerely feel you should listen to them (especially the first one). Let me know how you like it

wait did he just get banned? wat the hell? Crying or Very sad

Last edited by anirudhkitt on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:30 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Youtube embedding)
anirudhkitt
anirudhkitt
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:36 pm

I re-embedded the videos, I hope you don't mind, for youtube you need to click on the film strip to the right, not the flash button.

A friend actually introduced me to Ludovico Einaudi earlier this year, however I wasn't familiar with Primavera, thank you very much for posting this, wonderfully enjoyable piece. Instantly familiar but poignant.

I'm glad this thread interested you, here's to contributions in the future. Thumbs up
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:39 pm

dostoevsky, a mod after my own heart :bow:

Amazing selections in this thread. Some I've heard but gladly listened to again (Firebird is a personal favourite) and some new ones I haven't heard yet.

I'll post some stuff here since classical music is something I adore. Don't worry dostoevsky you are not alone drinking
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:52 pm

Thimmy wrote:

I don't listen to classical music that much, but I love this song. And here are two other songs by the same composer/artist. Sakamoto is a multi-talented genius...

+1 for Sakamoto.

Forbidden colours is one of the most heart felt piano compositions I've ever had the pleasure of listening too. The oriental style he brought in that piece to a very western instrument is genius and amazingly fresh. It really isn't what I would call classical music though (it's more new age actually) but a great composition all the same and worth listening to.

Sheltering sky is classical music however and it is fantastic, same with Energy flow. Sakamoto dabbled in pretty much every musical genre out there from new wave to j-pop so when he wrote classical music it always sounded different to your typical piece as if his other influences bled into his classical work. He has a distinct style to the point where those who are familiar with his music can instantly recognise a Sakamoto piece.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:11 am

Some teasers to what will be the most epic thread in the forums :bow:

Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich:

The Begining:

Section II:

Not your typical pieces. An attempt at minimalist classical music that creates an almost hypnotic melody. Worth a listen for sure. Steve Reich hits this out of the ball park IMO. Nothing out there is quite like this.

Psalmus Hungaricus by Kodály Zoltán

The people of Hungary should be proud of this master piece. Rich, powerful, a true epic and my god that climax at the end :bow:

And last but not least my man Igor :bow:

Symphony of Psalms isn't even one of his best known compositions but it is without a doubt one of his best. (There are quite a few movements so check them out in the related videos on youtube, definitely worth it)

:bow:

Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:17 am

anirudhkitt wrote:Hi dostoevsky:

I love exploring new types of music and i will definitely have my eye on this side of the forum. I am not sure if these are something you will like but personally i love these two:

i sincerely feel you should listen to them (especially the first one). Let me know how you like it

wait did he just get banned? wat the hell? Crying or Very sad

All the reps to you for Primavera. The first time i heard that it felt like I had already listened to it. It almost felt like I had heard it in a dream once or something.

Fantastic, words fall short.

Last edited by Zealous on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:18 am

Sees Steve Reich being posted.

Melts.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:20 am

dostoevsky wrote:Sees Steve Reich being posted.

Melts.

As close to getting your mind f*cked as it gets IMO.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:25 am

Stumbled on this piano piece while watching a football related video. Instantly fell in love with it.

Smile by Matthias Frey

Never heard of the guy but I'm a fan after hearing that. Lovely piece and while it is not the most technically amazing piano piece you can find but a lot of love went into it and it shows.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:00 am

You can really sense a feeling of sincere joy behind the piece which is pleasing to listen to, even if it's not a technical masterpiece by any means. Some pieces you need to be in the right mood to appreciate, others seem appropriate no matter the setting and they stay with you.

That's the beauty of chamber music, the sensitivity and perspective it offers that belies expectations.

I tried to find the cello transcription I heard performed by Rostropovich, however I can't find a track that I can embed, however it is an interesting comparison to make of this timeless piece by Schubert. I'm personally incredibly partial to the cello, however its original form is still stunning.

dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:48 am

My favourite violin piece played by one of my favourite violinists

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next