What does Özil?Is he the new Zidane, Kaka or a mix of them?

+18
Vibe
hrealmadrid
I-no
Sniper__90
jenno
7amood11
VanDeezNuts
ÖMARz
adnyana179
LaDecima
Doc
Onyx
BarrileteCosmico
The Madrid One
Ganso
Jack Daniels
Mr Nick09
Babun
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What does Özil?Is he the new Zidane, Kaka or a mix of them? Empty What does Özil?Is he the new Zidane, Kaka or a mix of them?

Post by Babun Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:42 pm

My last old thread, goal.com can go to hell now :lol!:

Hi people, I've got a little bit time now and want to explain Özil's game. There seems to be confusion in some threads about his playing style and what he brings to Real Madrid.

First of all, is he the new Zidane? Definiatly not! He has got superb passing at close range, above average from afar and slightly above average high passes. Zidane excelled in all three of them. Zidane's game wasn't based around his pace, he was a two-footed dribbler( very hard to guess for opponents) and a midfield general who controlled the midfield in a classical way.
Özil ressembles him only in short-middle distance passing on the ground and that he can dictate the happenings in final third, the similarities end here.

Second, is he the new Kaka?He certainly has got more in common with the later. Kaka had unbeliable pace with the ball and could dribble at that crazy speed.He scored a lot and had superb passing in final third.
Özil has got crazy acceleration like the old Kaka and can dribble at speed like the other BUT Kaka's game was based around the above listed attributes,in Özil's case it's only a part of his game. In conclusion, he has got a lot of Kaka's attributes but he doesn't play like him.

Now,the question, how does he play?

Zidane and Kaka were/are masters on the ball most of the time, 80% of Özil's game happens without the ball.

He is a master at finding space to run into. He runs with speed exactly between the lines of two or more players no matter whether defenders or midfielders.It causes havoc and the players responsible need to close him down, in that moment there will be 2 players from opposition out of position, there's space to exploit by other team mates.He then releases the ball instead of keeping it long and dribbling with it then runs into space again. It needs to be said that a lot of intelligence is needed to play that way.Here an example of it, watch the the moves for 0-1 @53s:

Why is it so effective?

He is not a fixed attacking midfielder, he runs all over the field looking for the gaps,he plays as attacking mid, left winger, right winger and SS.The team he plays against has to think as one to neglect his attributes which doesnt happen often.To stop Özil from doing his stuff, 3 players are needed!
......player1............player2.......
..................player3...............
..............Özil.............................
It could be a problem in a middle table team but not in Real, others can step up if that happens.Also, he plays on the level of the last two defenders in forward movement, it psyches the opponents out because he could burst away wihout being offside. It causes the opposite team to sit deeper in the long run.

What does he bring to Madrid?

Ronaldo, Di Maria and Higuain are terrific players but closed down without space their damage is limited. Özil can create space for them to exploit and find them with slick passing.

What are the weaknesses in his game?

He makes heavy use of his left foot and neglects his right most of the time even if it's to his disadvantage in certain situations.There's hope that he could overcome that problem, he uses his right foot more often after coming to Madrid.

His shooting is suspect and he passes in times where he should shoot. His shooting with right foot is even worse. It helps the opponents to ignore him and close down the target of his passes. In short, if he improves his shooting, he would create even more space for team mates and score more.There seems to be little progress as well under Mourinho.

The 3rd weakness and the mythos about his fitness level is more problematic than the first two. A lot of people here on the board think that he is not fit to play for 90min LIKE others. There is the mistake. It's not that he is less fit than his team mates, he uses up the stamina that a normal footballer would use in 90min in 75min. Why? He runs with a lot of speed all the time into space all around the pitch. He covers a lot of ground and he does it with pace.The solution would be for him to make breaks inbetween the game like R7 does and just jog around from time to time or somehow magically raise his stamina level above others

4. I've yet to see a header from him. Zidane as assistant coach anyone?

5. Although improved under Mourinho, his tracking back is suspect, he sometime loses the ball in vital positions.

And now, the answer to the thread name:
Özil plays like Özil I can't remeber a player who played like him, a space exploiter.Makelele has got a position named after him, I would name this playing style after Özil. He doesn't play like Zidane or Kaka, he plays özilesque.

Update: he uses his right foot more,bulked up physically, assisted with a header Very Happy I saw the match Real vs. Bayern oldies and I have to say, he really plays more like Zidane, their playing style is comparable. Ozil looks very raw though.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

What does Özil?Is he the new Zidane, Kaka or a mix of them? Empty Re: What does Özil?Is he the new Zidane, Kaka or a mix of them?

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:44 pm

None of them i would say, he reminds me more of Laudrup. He is more dynamic on the ball, but do not use overwhelming speed like kaka
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

What does Özil?Is he the new Zidane, Kaka or a mix of them? Empty Re: What does Özil?Is he the new Zidane, Kaka or a mix of them?

Post by Jack Daniels Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:46 pm

A fast Zidane. Kaka is a one dimentional direct player.

Last edited by Jack Daniels on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:46 pm

cmon,kaka was twice as fast as ozil.i believe ozil is more similar to zidane if you want to compare them
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:47 pm

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:None of them i would say, he reminds me more of Laudrup. He is more dynamic on the ball, but do not use overwhelming speed like kaka
I watched the game Real vs. Bayern legends. He really plays more like Zidane, they make steps into space and avoid challenges this way Very Happy Zidane plays deeper though.
Ganso wrote:cmon,kaka was twice as fast as ozil.i believe ozil is more similar to zidane if you want to compare them
The thread is 8 months old, I just transferred it...
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:50 pm

His body movements are closer to Zidane's, definitely. he doesnt try to out run people to beat them
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:55 pm

he aint kaka at all, hes more like zidane and laudrup put together, hes faster than zidane but not as fact as kaka.

heck i was watching an assit kaka gave to fabiano in confederations cup

ozil would never be able to run that fast.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:55 pm

Neither. He makes me think of Safet Susic actually.

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:07 am

New Kaka = Pastore, mate.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:25 am

pastore? lets see where he ends up playing...

inteR?
The Madrid One
The Madrid One

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:33 am

I think he's more similar to Zidane.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:06 am

He's not at all like Pastore or Kaka

I would say more Zidane like in his play with a little infusion of Figo

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:10 am

Only reason I would think people would compare him to Kaka is because of Ozil rather underrated speed. Other than that, he has more of Zidane's qualities than anything.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by LaDecima Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:59 am

He's good in tight spaces like Zidane. Provides the passes like Laudrup.

Sweats like Shaquille O'Neal Smile
LaDecima
LaDecima
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:08 am

hes 22, you guys think he can reach their heights
The Madrid One
The Madrid One

Back to top Go down

Post by adnyana179 Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:29 am

The Madrid One wrote:hes 22, you guys think he can reach their heights
He has time in his favour and a good squad around him. I don't see why he can't match them, or even eclipse them.

On the comparisons, I see more of a Zidane influence than any other.
adnyana179
adnyana179
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by ÖMARz Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:55 am

Ozil is Ozil. A legend in the making in his own right :coffee:

ÖMARz
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by adnyana179 Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:58 am

Who is that in your sig omarz?
adnyana179
adnyana179
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:03 am

ozil is the new ozil.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by ÖMARz Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:34 am

adnyana179 wrote:Who is that in your sig omarz?

You mirin my wife here buddy? Cool

ÖMARz
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by adnyana179 Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:08 am

OMARz wrote:
adnyana179 wrote:Who is that in your sig omarz?

You mirin my wife here buddy? Cool
She adds some flavour to the section, so you can't blame me for being curious.
adnyana179
adnyana179
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 am

I think Oezil's short-range passing is very similar to Zidane. His off the ball movements are also similar to some extent.

But I can't think of anything he has in common with Kaka...
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by jenno Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:07 am

Maybe his runs are a little bit similar to Kaka's...

I see him more like Zidane.

But he has his own style, difficult to compare him to other players!
jenno
jenno
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sniper__90 Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:00 am

7amood11 wrote:I think Oezil's short-range passing is very similar to Zidane. His off the ball movements are also similar to some extent.

But I can't think of anything he has in common with Kaka...

When he has the ball at his feet, his dribbling style reminds me somewhat of Kaka (when in form with AC Milan).
Sniper__90
Sniper__90
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by I-no Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:36 pm

does it matter how he plays as long as we win?
I-no
I-no
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum