Did you know / Fact thread

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:23 pm

Posting random unknown/known fascinating facts that make us wiser and more knowledgeable about the world around us.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:28 pm

Panda Bears


Panda bears are omnivores who are basically carnivores, biologically speaking —their “digestive system is more similar to that of a carnivore than an herbivore, and so much of what is eaten is passed as waste,” according to the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute.

And yet, for some reason, they have decided not to eat meat and consume only bamboo. To make matters worse, they can’t actually survive by eating normal amounts of bamboo.

As the Smithsonian notes, because their stomachs aren’t designed to digest plants, pandas get almost no nutrients out of bamboo before they pass through their systems as waste.

Pandas are mostly just a symbol of diplomacy and goodwill between China and the foreign countries that keep pandas in their zoos. That political gesture doesn’t come cheap: Pandas cost zoos roughly $1 million per year to rent from China, plus a one-time tax on each baby born

Source:
https://qz.com/1308730/modern-pandas-should-have-died-out-years-ago/
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:42 pm

Uranus


Unlike every other planet in the solar system, Uranus has a weird axis of rotation. Every planet has the axis of rotation as horizontal, which means the poles of the planet face away from the sun. The moon of each of these planets also revolve horizontally.

Uranus on the other hand first rotates vertically, which means that the poles of Uranus face towards and away from the sun. Secondly, its not a perfect line, this planet is titled at 97.77 degrees which makes it weirder as the one pole sees the sun for 40 years until the other pole gets to the front as the planet completes half of its revolution. Following the same structure as before Uranus's moon also revolve vertically around Uranus.

Saturn has its rings along its horizontal but Uranus has the rings around it seeming like 2 concentric circles.

Did you know / Fact thread Giphy

Did you know / Fact thread The_axes_of_rotation_of_the_eight_planets

The reason that Scientists think this abnormality exists is probably because of a large asteroid colliding with Uranus to alter its poles and orientation.

Inb4uranus jokes.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Unique on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:57 pm

Don't listen to everything scientists tell you sometime they lie Very Happy

_________________
Did you know / Fact thread Landsc10
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 17046
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:01 am

Building on to the last one, another Solar System fact

Neptune and Pluto collision?



https://astrobites.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/nh-line-of-nodes-anne-verbiscer.png

Yet in reality the two planets can never get close to colliding, for two reasons.

Firstly, the apparent crossing-points are optical illusions, caused by the fact that the two orbits are actually steeply inclined to one another.

The second reason that Neptune and Pluto can’t collide is because Neptune’s orbital period of 164.8 years means it makes three orbits for every two made by Pluto, with its 248.8-year orbital period.

That puts them in a so-called gravitational resonance, where each planet speeds up or slows down as the other approaches, which alters their paths and prevents them coming closer than around 2600 million km to each other.

Nerd Fact: Pluto 8th planet or 9th? or no planet at all :O:
Pluto was the 8th planet for about 20 years in the late 1900s since it was ahead of Neptune that time making Neptune the 9th planet, Astronomers later realized the orbital patterns when suddenly Neptune came back in front of it.

Thus Pluto again became 9th and soon enough with all this jibber jabber weird behavior, it was removed as a planet all together in 2006 because it was Neptune's bitch as it couldn't handle Neptune's gravitation.

More info on why Pluto was removed as a planet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearing_the_neighbourhood
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:18 am

Wolves

Did you know that Wolves have a social hierarchy as strong as humans? Only Monkeys and Elephants exhibit the same traits found in Wolves.

Did you know / Fact thread Social-hierarchy-of-wolves-and-their-characteristics-in-GWO

Lets assume a Pack of 10 Wolves. 4 males, 4 females and 2 cubs.

Alpha: There are 2 Alpha wolves in each pack, One is male and other one is female. These are dominant wolves in the pack and make all the decisions. These are also the only ones to breed in the pack.

Beta: The next in order are the Beta wolves, these support the Alpha's and challenge them with chances to take their throne.

Delta: Everyone in between the Beta and the omega are the delta's who just complete the pack.

Omega: These are the scapegoats of the pack, they are constantly bullied and bitten. But they are vital to the pack and always the initiator of play.

Interesting facts about wolves:

1) Even though only the Alpha's breed. The cubs are taken care of by the ENTIRE PACK. No other animal except Humans, Gorrilas and Elephants have the same social structure. The Cubs learns more from the pack rather than its parents.

2) Each Kill is shared arguably equally within the pack, even with the elderly, sick, cubs or omega wolves that stay behind in the den/home during fights.

3) Each Wolf in a pack adapts its howl to a different frequency, when wolves howl, every howl is at a different pitch, this gives each of them a clear identity if the pack splits up.

4) Wolves mourn their dead, there have documented changes in wolves behavior like depression, near 0 playing, solitary howls in the event of losing a member.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:19 am

@Unique wrote:Don't listen to everything scientists tell you sometime they lie Very Happy


Scientists yeah maybe, I trust Astronomers though.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 am

Last one for tonight

Blue Whale's Heart


https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e9/38/a8/e938a8ecdf6e98929776a7bbf3edcb42.jpg

A Blue whale’s heart only beats 6-8 times per minute and can be heard TWO MILES away. (Fact: Sound travels 5 times faster in Water than Air)

Their heart arteries are so big, a 5 year old could walk through it. The heart itself weighs as much as a car at about 600 kilograms!



Source: :
https://www.whalefacts.org/blue-whale-heart/
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:07 am

@Unique wrote:Don't listen to everything scientists tell you sometime they lie Very Happy


Wait unless you believe Earth is flat?
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Unique on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:53 am

@Nishankly wrote:
@Unique wrote:Don't listen to everything scientists tell you sometime they lie Very Happy


Wait unless you believe Earth is flat?
no. im not one of them guys. we were told that the universe started from the big bang which means it exploded from a single point so in theory the universe should be shaped like a ball but its not so they are wrong about its shape or wrong about the big bang because both cant be true. they also tell us that nothing can travel faster than light and the universe started from a single point and exploded now if all of that were true the age and size of the universe should be exactly the same but they are not so one or more of them facts they gave us can not be true. i do love talking to flat earth idiots though. i like the look they give me when i ask them why they think thet are being lied to and they have no clue Laughing

_________________
Did you know / Fact thread Landsc10
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 17046
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:33 pm

@Unique wrote:
@Nishankly wrote:
@Unique wrote:Don't listen to everything scientists tell you sometime they lie Very Happy


Wait unless you believe Earth is flat?
no. im not one of them guys. we were told that the universe started from the big bang which means it exploded from a single point so in theory the universe should be shaped like a ball but its not so they are wrong about its shape or wrong about the big bang because both cant be true. they also tell us that nothing can travel faster than light and the universe started from a single point and exploded now if all of that were true the age and size of the universe should be exactly the same but they are not so one or more of them facts they gave us can not be true. i do love talking to flat earth idiots though. i like the look they give me when i ask them why they think thet are being lied to and they have no clue Laughing


Science allows questions, assumptions and is built on improvement. Religion doesn't. And way to take attempt to take a neutral side here, a bit too evident.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:33 pm

Both your points have been addressed, its clear we don't know how the universe was or what it was before the big bang we can only speculate. I accept here since I am agnostic that maybe God or something that can be termed as God as Hawking said comes into the picture.

Flat Earth or every thing America controversially did during the Space race had enough time for every country that's been to space to deny and disprove them, no one did.

Edison took 1000 attempts to make a light bulb that you buy now in 45 different sizes. Science evolves, we recently got to know about Moons in Saturn and its only 2000s, we have only explored 11% of the oceans inside Earth. We are fucking new to this universe and are babies even though we live out 100 years. We are absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I am not saying im right or someone's right with their opinion since confirmation bias exists at every point of our life. Evidence is what should direct to it rather than coming to a conclusion and then cherry picking the facts to suit our hypothesis.


Last edited by Nishankly on Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Unique on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:16 am

do you agree that my points are worth arguing. the top scientists and Astronomers have told us the facts and a guy like me has picked holes in it so where do we stand. im not saying everything they say is fact or everything they say is a lie. but when you add up everything they say at least some of it cant be true. they very often contradict themselves. Very Happy

_________________
Did you know / Fact thread Landsc10
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 17046
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:28 am

The explanation to half your questions is the term singularity. While it seems quite flawed and looks loke an easy way out, it makes sense since Singularity was defined before we knew black holes existed and then black holes perfectly fitted into this equation and the situation before big bang just about sat down.

I can explain singularity if you want.

I agree with you, it's fairly crazy what happened before the big bang and it's seems just like speculation and fitting it to the hypothesis.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:38 am

@Unique wrote:do you agree that my points are worth arguing. the top scientists and Astronomers have told us the facts and a guy like me has picked holes in it so where do we stand. im not saying everything they say is fact or everything they say is a lie. but when you add up everything they say at least some of it cant be true. they very often contradict themselves. Very Happy


Also it's a theory you or me are not cherry picking anything. The scientists themselves don't have the answers, they rely on theories that are backed up by prominent other scientists which makes on theory seem like fact, it isn't.

Singularity answers your questions, it does not answer what happened before Singularity. The age part of your question doesn't make sense, stars explode and die, nebulas form new stars, galaxies intertwine to make to new ones or destroy old ones. Dust matter form together to make something new billions of year later how can everything have the same age if they change so quickly?
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Unique on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:59 am

@Nishankly wrote:
@Unique wrote:do you agree that my points are worth arguing. the top scientists and Astronomers have told us the facts and a guy like me has picked holes in it so where do we stand. im not saying everything they say is fact or everything they say is a lie. but when you add up everything they say at least some of it cant be true. they very often contradict themselves. Very Happy


Also it's a theory you or me are not cherry picking anything. The scientists themselves don't have the answers, they rely on theories that are backed up by prominent other scientists which makes on theory seem like fact, it isn't.

Singularity answers your questions, it does not answer what happened before Singularity. The age part of your question doesn't make sense, stars explode and die, nebulas form new stars, galaxies intertwine to make to new ones or destroy old ones. Dust matter form together to make something new billions of year later how can everything have the same age if they change so quickly?
well for the universe to be bigger than its age means that the speed of light is not the fastest anything can go. but we are told that nothing can move faster than light. and the older the universe is should mean it should not expand faster than light because the more mass we have in the universe should mean that things should move much slower than the speed of light yet the size of the universe compared to its age would suggest that its expanding faster than the speed of light since the big bang. so are they wrong about the big bang theory? are they wrong about the age of the universe? are they wrong about the size of the universe or are they wrong about the speed of light being the fastest thing that can be. some of it or all of it has to be wrong.

_________________
Did you know / Fact thread Landsc10
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 17046
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:09 am

First of all what you speak is about the Observable Universe, its different than "The Universe" we don't know the size of this.

Secondly, you are correct (In the thought) and asking the right questions but the answer to it is that Universe is expanding at a positive rate and this is not a speed. It is speed per distance (km/sec/MPc) while Light is just (km/sec) so you cannot directly compare the two since they are not the same unit. The key note is here is MPC which is Megaparsec. 1 Megaparsec is 3.26 million light years.

Now how this comes into the picture is the difference between Special relativity and General relativity. Special relativity is what we learn in school or the basic relativity principle online, it says that Nothing is faster than light. You have a surrounding with constant velocities, not affected by gravity and the speed of light "C" is the limit.

General relativity is applied when Gravity comes into the picture. Here forces are applied and speeds are not constant but varying.

To explain if you walk on Earth, its a straight line but if you look at the same walk from outside the Earth, the line will be curved. (example like your Meridians of Longitude)

Now when you say nothing can move faster than light, this is both true and untrue. True in our world, untrue outside the Earth.

So now I'll try to explain how it works in layman's terms.

Imagine you have a crumpled ball of paper. you make two dots. Now are you start drawing the line between the two dots of paper, while you are drawing this line, start uncrumpling the paper. The distance you measure even though you had constant speed is much more than what would be if the points did not move apart. The Universe is expanding in phases, depending on the phase at which its present in, it expands those amount of Megaparsecs. This phase affects the speed of the expansion, it can unbelievably high (@Big Bang) or cooled down (As assumed now).

Another Layman's example:

Imagine you are standing on a balloon. You start from point A towards point B which is 10 cms away in distance. Now if you start walking at the speed of 1 cm/second, you expect to reach point B in 10 seconds. But now when you start walking some dirty fucker starts expanding the balloon, now you reach point B at a constant speed of 1 cm/second but it took you 14 seconds because the balloon expanded in the same time.  

The big bang theory states that "Space" is expanding, this automatically disproves the notion nothing can travel faster than light. Because I mentioned the relativity concepts on the top, Universe doesn't fall into the golden rule because of the Space and Gravity variation.

So No, Universe is not probably travelling faster than the speed of light but YES it is expanding faster at some points where Light's speed can't keep up with it.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:00 am

Where is New Zealand?


Did you know / Fact thread AustraliaNewZealand700

A lot of people think New Zealand is just on the shoulder of Australia.

But this is untrue, the actual distance from Sydney to New Zealand is more than 2000 kilometres.

To put this into perspective, The flight takes nearly 3.5 hours. This is the same distance from: Paris to Moscow and India from East to West.

Its actually quite far away.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:06 am

Size of Africa?

Google maps show us this:

Did you know / Fact thread 9VQJu

Africa seems smaller than North America and Russia.

BUT THIS IS UNTRUE.

Africa is 14 times this representation on the map.

Africa can fit in 2 Russia's OR you could fit in USA, Canada and China inside Africa and still have place to slide in a cheeky Germany

Did you know / Fact thread Economist-true-size-of-africa

Did you know / Fact thread 160818123720-africa-slider-canada-after-large-169

Africa is flipping huge.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:10 am

Speed of a Sneeze

We been sneezing on people's face for ages but did you know that a Sneeze can travel upto 100 miles per hour or 160 kilometres per hours Shocked

That's two times the speed of trains.

Coughs can travel upto 50 miles per hour or 80 kilometres per hour, basically the speed of a car.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Arquitecto on Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:04 pm

Great thread Nishy definitely on my list of threads to browse when updated.

_________________
Did you know / Fact thread CBdRNU7WUAApby8
Did you know / Fact thread 504px-Zazpiak_Bat.svg
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Sociedad
Posts : 9415
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Robespierre on Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:19 pm

Great thread,  I happen to found out interesting things but I haven't in mind now ffs  silent

Just a little thing... do you know how Spanish people call the " scapegoat " ?
"Cabeza de turco". Literally head of a Turkish.
I wonder why, probably Ottomans weren't so loved there Laughing

_________________
#TeamVAR
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan
Posts : 13930
Join date : 2013-11-22
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by RealGunner on Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:22 pm

Great thread Nish. Some really interesting read.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 84958
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Nishankly on Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:04 pm

That's great guys please feel free to update this thread, there are so many things that are the truth but we give no value to them. Some of them can be absolutely mind boggling and some are amazing party/group conversations with close friends.

Let me reiterate, there are no limits, you can bring in cultures, languages, food anything you want.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon
Posts : 18518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by The Demon of Carthage on Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:00 pm

Agree with the rest, great thread indeed. Will make sure to stop by regularly to either learn or share something. Thank you, Nish.

_________________
I ****ing hate Komodo dragons
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 4799
Join date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Did you know / Fact thread Empty Re: Did you know / Fact thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum