Unique
Freeza
El Gunner
39 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 5 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by RealGunner Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:07 pm

Pain and Glory sounds like a classic from the 50s/60s but the name escapes me.

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:54 pm

^^you're referring to Paths of Glory perhaps if the similarity you're referring to is in the title and not the film description
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:09 pm

No i meant the description.

Found the film.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:28 pm

ahhh, i see. There was a poster of 8½ on the protagonist's wall in the movie eco smile
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:57 pm

How does Pain & Glory deal with Almodóvar’s Oedipal Complex? I don’t know if he even has one. He’s clearly not interested in any parent in a sexual way at all.

Is there any more to the complex?

Long time since I’ve seen it though. Main takeaway from it still Banderas’s performance. And the back pain. Having dealt with it myself I could see how well he acted that out Laughing
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:15 am

Unexpectedly was pulled in to the royal theatres to catch Knives Out and was pleasantly surprised as to how fun the film was.

The ridiculously heavy all-star cast most definitely added to the pull on each turn of the camera but it turned out to be a rather sensible detective thriller reminiscent of the late 60s films of the same type you would have; and without the ironically predictable turns and was capitalised by the star of the show in Daniel Craig.

So many gradients he had to his performance right from the beginning where he is smouldering despite in the background from his unpredictable nature and capturing a Cajun accent perfectly and one would never guess he is a polished man from England.

The rest of the case fell nowhere short either from Chris Evans to a refreshing role to Michael Shannon playing somewhat of what you would expect whilst Ana de Armas was wonderfully used in her expression as the fulcrum of the film itself.

Very enjoyable and recommend it to anyone who is willing to watch a perfectly paced thriller with a superb message and rich details.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:10 am

Freeza wrote:How does Pain & Glory deal with Almodóvar’s Oedipal Complex? I don’t know if he even has one. He’s clearly not interested in any parent in a sexual way at all.

Is there any more to the complex?

Long time since I’ve seen it though. Main takeaway from it still Banderas’s performance. And the back pain. Having dealt with it myself I could see how well he acted that out Laughing

it is a huge misconception that the Oedipal complex = blatant sexual feelings towards one's opposite sex parent.

Rather it is a phenomenon of one's life that every one goes through. An experience of relating and negotiating one's primitive sexual nature of need and desire with one's parents - mostly in a psychosexual manner.

Why i said the film touches on it is because his film that he shoots at the end is called "The First Desire" and the film ends with a shot of him and his mother alone in a room before they're about to move to the caves. Throughout the rest of the film we of course get to see how his desires are spliced into the narrative of the film as he reflects back on the moments that made his life somewhat meaningful - included his writing/filming and his homosexual lover (note how his father was barely present and he did not have any real relationship with him - Oedipal complex, and Eduardo the painter was kind of a male companion to him in his younger years)

edit: also i didn't say Aldomovar's Oedipal complex, but Banderas' character in the film rather. From my understanding the film is only partially autobiographical from Aldomovar's POV
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:29 am

Nice to see OUaTiH and The Irishman to get 5 Golden Globe noms a piece, and cash grabs like Avengers get nothing. Although disappointed on animated category, 4/5 are either franchise movies or remakes.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:39 am

I don't know what you've read about the Oedipus Complex really. It's unconcious sexual feelings towards a parent in the very young year (around 5), and feeling a sense of rivalry/hatred towards the other parent. At least that's my understanding, and how the term is Oedipus Complex is used in the world today.

I don't know what kind of of interpretation of Freud's theory you've read though. But I'd be interested to read more about it. Find this stuff interesting. Even made me watch that Cronenberg film for my exam some year back and actually loved it. Keira Knightley chewed scenery more than anyone I'd ever seen, and I was all for it.

In any case the theory seems wild and outdated, as most of Freud's stuff do now.
___

Also this movie is one of the most overt autobiographical movies a director has ever made about themselves. They've really not attempted to hide this. The look of the character is just right on the nose. But it makes it that much more interesting.

I can recommend the podcast Banderas did with Sean Fennessey of The Ringer about the role. Had some great stories, and he's got one the greatest, most soothing voices of all time.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:40 am

Harmonica wrote:Nice to see OUaTiH and The Irishman to get 5 Golden Globe noms a piece, and cash grabs like Avengers get nothing. Although disappointed on animated category, 4/5 are either franchise movies or remakes.

American animation has never really been anything else. At least not Disney.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Freeza wrote:I don't know what you've read about the Oedipus Complex really. It's unconcious sexual feelings towards a parent in the very young year (around 5), and feeling a sense of rivalry/hatred towards the other parent. At least that's my understanding, and how the term is Oedipus Complex is used in the world today.

I don't know what kind of of interpretation of Freud's theory you've read though. But I'd be interested to read more about it. Find this stuff interesting. Even made me watch that Cronenberg film for my exam some year back and actually loved it. Keira Knightley chewed scenery more than anyone I'd ever seen, and I was all for it.

In any case the theory seems wild and outdated, as most of Freud's stuff do now.

I'm a psych student. What you explained in your first paragraph - thats the basis - that's how it starts and that's how Freud conceptualised it based on the notion our psyches completely form and stabilise up until the age of 5-7.

But as you yourself said Freud's theories are outdated, but it doesn't mean they have been completely negated - they've just been built upon. A bunch of psychoanalysts majorly added on to the foundations Freud set for Psychoanalysis - Erik Erikson mainly contributed with the stages of development that goes beyond 7 years of age.

My friend sent me a few articles on the Oedipus complex in relation to existentialism a few days ago which i'll be getting to once I'm back home in Namibia and reached the limit of how much i can stand my family Laughing i'll then share the readings with you as well.

Also for your back pain -- im sure you've heard of Reiki (energy healing) don't know how much you believe in it. But lately I have realised I only get lower back pain when im stressed/my head is clouded/i have a lot on my mind or i just have pent up energy (hence tightness/blockages of energy occur in my body). What i firstly do is just try to calm my mind (meditative state) and then i rub my lower back with focus/attention to soothe the pain or spread the pent up energy throughout other parts of my body. Then i do a few stretches as well just focusing on my breath and trying to make loose other tight spots in my body. Then for the rest of the day i just try to stay active as best i can (not over exertion active). Or i try to focus my mind on a project/activity - for example, writing or just any other means of getting creative

try that out, and i mean really set your mind to it while doing it, and let me know.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:54 pm

The Matrix 4 has a release date of May 21, 2021
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:31 pm

Without Larry Fishburne, I just can't get hyped for this.

It's going to depend heavily on who they get to play Young Morpheus, but even that probably won't be enough.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:38 pm

^^John David Washington perhaps hmm
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Yahya Abdul Mateen has already been cast in the lead. Might be him
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:05 pm

McLewis wrote:Without Larry Fishburne, I just can't get hyped for this.

It's going to depend heavily on who they get to play Young Morpheus, but even that probably won't be enough.

Rumors are its Yayha Abdul Mateen (Black Manta from Aquaman).
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:20 pm

M99 wrote:
McLewis wrote:Without Larry Fishburne, I just can't get hyped for this.

Rumors are its Yayha Abdul Mateen (Black Manta from Aquaman).

And [redacted] from Watchmen
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:09 am

Matrix 4? So we're now at that point. Laughing
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:23 pm

LADS! Finally I can give you my compilation video for the decade. After some trials and tribulations in the form of me having to verify my account to upload a 15+ min video Laughing and being copyright cock-blocked for featuring Golden Earring's Radar Love in the original vid Laughing i finally got it up and open to the public on YouTube.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX4ydx0t8Y

The Top 30 countdown starts at 5:26

720p quality is the best I can do for now because it was impossible to find higher quality footage for some of the earlier films of the decade that don't have any watermarks on them Surprised

My top 5 is also different from the one i posted a while back because i god-thankfully rewatched Take Shelter eco smile

Here's the Letterboxd list with top 10 acting performances included: https://letterboxd.com/o_cav/list/2010s-a-decade-in-film/

Enjoy and comment on the list
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:40 pm

Nice video, pretty bad decade in film I would say, although seen only like half of those movies. There's a lot of good small movies though. For me Interstellar is the best Nolan and probably the movie of the decade without thinking it too much.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Harmonica wrote:Nice video, pretty bad decade in film I would say, although seen only like half of those movies. There's a lot of good small movies though. For me Interstellar is the best Nolan and probably the movie of the decade without thinking it too much.

Agree 100%.

Arguably still the best movie I've ever seen. Yet that trash Martian got an oscar nomination Laughing :facepalm:
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:58 pm

RealGunner wrote:The Matrix 4 has a release date of May 21, 2021

Pretty wild its coming out the same day as John Wick 4.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:01 pm

jibers wrote:
Harmonica wrote:Nice video, pretty bad decade in film I would say, although seen only like half of those movies. There's a lot of good small movies though. For me Interstellar is the best Nolan and probably the movie of the decade without thinking it too much.

Agree 100%.

Arguably still the best movie I've ever seen. Yet that trash Martian got an oscar nomination Laughing :facepalm:

loved it when it first came out, but it hasn't aged that well for me. Pretty standard first half of the film, love the space missions, and the metaphysical sending of a message through space and time in the ending is beautiful too, but just felt like there was so much filler in between which made for a more discombobulated film theme-wise.

Last edited by El Gunner on Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:02 pm

El Gunner wrote:LADS! Finally I can give you my compilation video for the decade. After some trials and tribulations in the form of me having to verify my account to upload a 15+ min video Laughing and being copyright cock-blocked for featuring Golden Earring's Radar Love in the original vid Laughing i finally got it up and open to the public on YouTube.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX4ydx0t8Y

The Top 30 countdown starts at 5:26

720p quality is the best I can do for now because it was impossible to find higher quality footage for some of the earlier films of the decade that don't have any watermarks on them Surprised

My top 5 is also different from the one i posted a while back because i god-thankfully rewatched Take Shelter eco smile

Here's the Letterboxd list with top 10 acting performances included: https://letterboxd.com/o_cav/list/2010s-a-decade-in-film/

Enjoy and comment on the list

Thats some good work mate. Knew you would put Inception as #1 when Time hit Proud
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:05 pm

jibers wrote:

Agree 100%.

Although Nolan's movies are overrated in general, watching the nom category, mind boggles that it didn't fit in there.

Birdman
American Sniper
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash
M99 wrote:
RealGunner wrote:The Matrix 4 has a release date of May 21, 2021

Pretty wild its coming out the same day as John Wick 4.
Rather would watch Point Break 2, the sequel of remake.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:21 pm

El Gunner wrote:
M99 wrote:Also this French movie called I Lost My Body has been released on Netflix. Don't write it off because its animated or French, its a really good movie.

ahh thanks for this recommendation, never even heard of it haha, just watched it now... how do you interpret it?

Spoiler:

Overall i think it's a nice little creative, surreal film... but i can only say i really loved it and judge it accordingly if i understand what it is trying to say because it obviously deals with big themes of destiny and life after death/out of body experiences. And i think at the core there's also the grief of losing his parents - thinking he might have been the reason for the accident.

Got another film for you on Netflix. Its called Atlantics.

Spoiler:

The soundtrack on I Lost My Body was superb. This is on repeat for me for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exc1zWSF_rQ
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next