Watchmen || HBO

Go down

Watchmen || HBO  Empty Watchmen || HBO

Post by Freeza on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:49 pm

First episode is absolutely incredible.

Can see Damon Lindelof cementing himself as the greatest TV-writer/showrunner after this season. Not another person with that kind of catalogue with variety. At least imo.

Regina King is also great as always. Can't wait to see where they take this.

Also find the opening scene to be incredible. Even more incredible that it's actually something that happened in real life, and I can't recall ever seeing it mentioned or having heard about it. Really shows how black American history basically is slavery and MLK/X.

Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Watchmen || HBO  Empty Re: Watchmen || HBO

Post by McLewis on Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Yeah I really enjoyed that opening episode. Very solid. It's going to be disorienting for a lot of people who didn't watch the Leftovers and I already see lots of comments from folks who were pretty confused, but it didn't take me all that long to get my bearings.

Spoiler:
And yeah the Tulsa Race Riots were definitely a thing and it was every bit as horrific as the opening scenes of this episode depict. I really liked the selection of Tulsa in general as the backdrop of this show. Oklahoma is very complex state demographically.

Really liked the use of the more famous Watchmen characters as almost allegories or even quasi-fictional/mythical elements.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:29 pm

@McLewis wrote:Yeah I really enjoyed that opening episode. Very solid. It's going to be disorienting for a lot of people who didn't watch the Leftovers and I already see lots of comments from folks who were pretty confused, but it didn't take me all that long to get my bearings.

Spoiler:
And yeah the Tulsa Race Riots were definitely a thing and it was every bit as horrific as the opening scenes of this episode depict. I really liked the selection of Tulsa in general as the backdrop of this show. Oklahoma is very complex state demographically.

Really liked the use of the more famous Watchmen characters as almost allegories or even quasi-fictional/mythical elements.

Found this reading of the opening scene on the subreddit, and it really made me all the more sad. And I still can't believe it's not a widely known event. Good on HBO and Lindelof for doing this.

Spoiler:
Watchmen || HBO  Fxuj2fr43xt31

Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:26 am

@Freeza wrote:
@McLewis wrote:Yeah I really enjoyed that opening episode. Very solid. It's going to be disorienting for a lot of people who didn't watch the Leftovers and I already see lots of comments from folks who were pretty confused, but it didn't take me all that long to get my bearings.

Spoiler:

Found this reading of the opening scene on the subreddit, and it really made me all the more sad. And I still can't believe it's not a widely known event. Good on HBO and Lindelof for doing this.

Spoiler:
Watchmen || HBO  Fxuj2fr43xt31

Holy shit that's an amazing connection. I love that.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:02 pm

Very solid first episode, we will see the direction the series go to. I am a huge fan of the movie, hopefully it will explore the ambiquity of superheros and explore similar theme.

First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:45 pm

looks okay, we'll see where it goes. Hope it doesn't try to be too intricate and complex.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis on Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:50 pm

I feel like watching The Leftovers (particular seasons 2 and 3) prepared me well for watching this show.

Complexity and intricacy are well within Lindelof's wheelhouse (he also was one of the main minds behind Lost as well) so those should be expected.

That said, the 2nd episode perfectly encapsulates the above, but I think it's going to turn off people who don't like this type of confusing, non-linear storytelling. Personally, I was having no real issues following up until that final scene Laughing
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Wait what? Did I read Lindelof? :facepalm:

Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : FC Bayern