The “new” marketplace +100M players

3 posters

Go down

The “new” marketplace +100M players Empty The “new” marketplace +100M players

Post by futbol_bill Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:04 pm

Most posters here constantly talk about this new market place and how clubs like Real Madrid and Bayern seem reluctant to enter this market.

There are actually only 10 players that have been signed for 100M+ and only 6 clubs involved. While it should be acknowledged that player values have risen, if you exclude these 10 deals, the marketplace has only risen 10-20%.

I had posted the following in response to DoC going on, yet again of Florentino’s reluctance to spend.

futbol_bill wrote:DoC, do you even realize how many 100M plus sales there have been?

It's only 10 in the entire history of futbol. only 6 clubs making that size of expenditure. And of the 9 players (Ronaldo is there twice), at least 4 of them haven't worked out. And 3 of them are looking to change clubs.  It a very exclusive marketplace that Sports keeps referring to. There are only a handful of clubs that have the financial strength to do these deals (3 EPL, 2 Spanish and PSG). Atleti was able to do so this year thanks to the Greizmann sale and Juve is slowly recovering their financial strength. Bayern probably could as well but like Flo they are reluctant to get carried away with this new elite marketplace.

You keep going on about Flo, who is probably the only futbol executive within these elite clubs who has a sound financial perspective, when the problem this season is clearly Zidane!!!

The 10 players and their sale value are as follows;

Neymar 222M
Mbappe 135M
Joao Félix 126M
Griezmann 120M
Coutinho 120M
Dembele 105M
Pogba 105M
Hazard 100M
Ronaldo 94M and 100M
Bale 100M

The expectations by both the club and fans alike is for this price, the player is a top 5 player, is a game changer and a leader who can greatly enhance club’s chances of success and is marketable (thereby allowing club to recoup some of their investment financially) and generally speaking that price tag is only for offensive players.

If you examine this list, there are obvious players in the list that have not met the expectations, most notably Dembele and Coutinho. But I would also suggest Bale and Pogba. Possibly even Neymar, although in his case, you would question that almost double price as he clearly was worth 100+.

There are questions with both Mbappe and Joao, because of limited prior experience, but they seem certain to be everything you expect for that price.

Separating out these questionable purchases, you are left with Ronaldo, Hazard, Griezmann plus Joao and Mbappe who meet the expectations, which indicates this new marketplace is indeed a very small.

There clearly are only a small number of clubs that can enter into this marketplace (City, ManU, Chelsea, PSG, Juventus, Bayern, RMad and Barca. I don’t think anyone else can unless like Atleti, they sell one and use sale proceeds to buy).

So I suggest with this summers activity and behavior of Neymar, Pogba, Bale, Coutinho, Dembele most clubs (excluding Barca of course) will be questioning paying 100+ for a single player. In other words I think the sale prices for Neymar and Pogba have exaggerated the marketplace making it an aberration. I think the marketplace may once again level out.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

The “new” marketplace +100M players Empty Re: The “new” marketplace +100M players

Post by titosantill Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:43 pm

that's an extremely broad view. yes there may have been only ten in the history of football, but more significantly is that all those ten have occurred in the last ten years. and cristiano's first transfer was in maybe 09. the rest have happened in the last 5 years, that says a lot

also, the fret isn't limited to just players costing 100 million, its the overall price; scrubs are going for 30 million, players wet behind the ears with only youtube highlights to their name are being prized at 40 million.

limiting the market rise to only purchases that amount to 100 mill and above doesn't paint the whole picture. we sold a substitute for 70 million euros, excluding add ons, lukau went for about 70 million (freaking lukaku), danilo was on the bench, and crap when he paid and still commanded a 30 million fee

point is, now when teams quote a price for a player they just pick a number out of thin air and add a bunch of zeros to it and see who budges. before there was a method to the madness, players had buy out clauses, but it was a known secret, that parties would negotiate and agree on a fee. now, you want freaking jaime mata getafe will ask for 40 million.
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

The “new” marketplace +100M players Empty Re: The “new” marketplace +100M players

Post by futbol_bill Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:04 pm

Tito, I’m not saying the sale values haven’t risen nor am I saying that poor evaluations don’t exist. There have always been over priced players and some sucker club that will bite.

I am specifically referring to Sports and DoC, saying Flo won’t spend 100M+ for a top player. That is the new marketplace, they both talk about.

While I’ll agree with you on some nonsense in the market place below 100M, i still observe that generally speaking the prices have risen 10-20 % over past 3 years.

Also this whole new marketplace has been created by Raiola (spelling ?), PSG and Barcelona!

Again, if you look at the players involved in these 100+ deals and what has transpired since, you can see a reluctance to spend that amount of money unless the player is

A top 5 player
A game changer
Can enhance the team prospects
And is marketable.

I say there are only 4 players in that list that have those qualities (the other one being Messi, Lol) plus there are two that have that potential.

So my point was, the players that these guys say we should buy don’t exist. From this experience over the past couple of years, most clubs will shy away from spending 100M and will rather spend that money on 2 or more good players!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Here's a better list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_association_football_transfers

Roughly 30 players have sold for 70 mil euros or more...with 12 over 90 mil.  21 of them have happened from 2016 to today.  Only 2 happened before 2010 (Ronaldo and Zidane).

Interesting sidenote:  the 4 most expensive transfers of the 2000s were by Real Madrid:  Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo and Kaka.  

Interesting second sidenote...  since 2014, barca have made huge transfers for Neymar, Suarez, De Jong, Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann.  The only tranfer we've made of note in that time is Hazard.  Granted, jury is out on Dembele and Coutinho is officially a flop for Barca.  But I'd trade 2 iffy transactions if that netted me Neymar, Suarez, De Jong and Griezmann all day long...
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down