The Madrid One
S
Kaladin
Luca
The Demon of Carthage
42 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What is your take on Madrid's underwhelming transfer activities?

[Serious] GL's Roundtable - The Real Madrid Edition Vote_lcap58%[Serious] GL's Roundtable - The Real Madrid Edition Vote_rcap 58% 
[ 18 ]
[Serious] GL's Roundtable - The Real Madrid Edition Vote_lcap42%[Serious] GL's Roundtable - The Real Madrid Edition Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 31

[Serious] GL's Roundtable - The Real Madrid Edition Empty [Serious] GL's Roundtable - The Real Madrid Edition

Post by The Demon of Carthage Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Look, maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe I'm missing something. So I would like to hear the neutrals and non-Madrid fans take on this.

I truly believe that Real Madrid are digging their own grave and have been doing so for the past two years.
I'm sure most of you have intentionally or not come across one of my gazillion posts where I mercilessly criticize the way the board has been handling business in the transfer market, so I'm not going to bore you with the details. Let's just say that I'm absolutely repulsed by Madrid's newfound, borderline -cheap policy of doing nothing while everybody else in Europe is killing themselves for the scarce world-class talent available.

Please do not answer this sarcastically, I really need you to be serious on this one. If you were a Madrid fan, would you be okay with the way Florentino has been conducting business? I understand that he wanted to cash in on a 33-year old Ronaldo after getting the best years of his career. But is it normal not to replace him? Would you be okay to have only past-it Benzema and injury-prone Bale spearheading your attack? Is it wise to bet on unproven Brazilian teenagers and completely abandon the free-spending policy that has brought him so much success?

Please feel free to answer the poll with the option that best mirrors your views and maybe a couple of predictions on the upcoming season.

I'll start: I predict Madrid to stay competitive in the league until the end of the season but won't win it. We'll crash out from the CL at the round of 16 and maybe end up winning the CDR (if we're lucky).

-----------------------------------------------------------

Just a note from RG. This thread has a serious tag.

-Jokes, puns, memes and off-topic comments are not permitted in any comment. They will be removed.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

[Serious] GL's Roundtable - The Real Madrid Edition Empty Re: [Serious] GL's Roundtable - The Real Madrid Edition

Post by Luca Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Personally, I look at Real Madrid's squad and I still see quality everywhere. I think we are witnessing the end of an era and that era was the era of Cristiano Ronaldo but also the era of Zidane, realistically these were three of the best seasons put together by any team in modern history. Three Champions League titles is a massive, massive feat.

Change is uncomfortable. It's even more uncomfortable when you're sending players like Cristiano Ronaldo away and literally not signing anyone to step in. It's a bit naive to act like 50 goals coming off the sheet each season wouldn't impact the club. I think Real will pay for this for this season, it'll be noticeable but at the same time, instill the idea that they must spend next summer or beyond. On the off chance that they don't miss Cristiano, then they did a masterclass in managing that change and utilizing the players that they have.

I think Real Madrid is playing the market but doing so in a cautious manner. Not overpaying, not overstepping, not going wild. Real Madrid are looking for 'opportunities' as my main man Beppe Marotta puts it. Still, you must have to say that Real Madrid has an ultra competitive starting 11 and some exciting players that can grow more at the club. It may be a down year, it'll be hard to match or better the excitement of the last three years and Cristiano Ronaldo leaving a club, even if that club is Real Madrid, must be viewed as the loss it is.

If you believe in Lopetegui, then Real Madrid are in fine shape. If he's not the man with ideas, energy and ability, then it could be miserable for Real. The positive side is that Numpetgui had the whole preseason (Bravo Spain FA), and due to his previous post he knows several of the players very well. Spain, under Numpetgui was quite good, very good even. Real, with that midfield and Isco, could play some really nice stuff under him if given the opportunity.

TLDR: could be good, could be shit. Let's wait and see how it plays out.

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

[Serious] GL's Roundtable - The Real Madrid Edition Empty Re: [Serious] GL's Roundtable - The Real Madrid Edition

Post by Kaladin Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Not reinforcing the team is a bad idea, especially after a big departure like Ronaldo. There is massive pressure on the team to perform now, 'can we do it without him?' will linger in their minds, if they don't, it'll be a massive morale blow. I like Asensio and have rated since his first appearance in preseason, however, he is still young. Madrid needed a big name to fill the void left by CR, and to shoulder the pressure on the team now.

Benzema is terrible, lets be real, his reputation is terrible with the scandal and what not, not sure how he is with the administration and the fans. But i don't see how he will perform, his greatest attributes is being Ronaldo's foil. The club should've gotten a striker years ago really, not Chicharito or Morata i mean, one who actually makes the difference. Lewa was rumored but it seeems like he's staying.

Bale can be left alone, he's earned that much but maybe he needs some competition to keep him on his feet, Asensio can fill that role maybe, or Vince.

The midfield looks fine as long as Modric stays, maybe need to look at long term replacement for him, Isco, Kroos, Casemiro, Modric is a great selection.

The defense looks alright, maybe Real could get a better RB than Carvajal, Ramos and Varane are fine. Not sure about Vallejo, didn't look good but maybe he could learn from that.

Overall, i feel like its a big risk going into this season with the squad as is, it isn't like Madrid are shackled by FFP or nobody wants to sign for them, they are a giant and 4 time winning CL team now. You'd be crazy to decline them, they should easily take Hazard or whoever to fill that CR vacuum, not in goals but to take pressure off. They need a better striker as well.

I think they will finish top 4 in La Liga easily, but CL i don't know, its tought to tell
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Real Madrid are elite in every position except for CF. Bale has had an amazing pre-season so far so maybe he, a revitalized Benz, and a developing Asensio can all contribute and help bridge the loss of 50 goals per season. This season gives a really good opportunity for the younger players to step up with this being a transitional year and all.

Ideally a new (goalscoring) CF would suit the team's needs but i assume Perez wants to buy the very best(Neymar, Mbappe) when that opportunity presents itself, or stick with what you currently have.

This is still a stacked squad with WC talent in just about every position from what i'm looking at.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:38 pm

@ DoC:

I'll hold my thoughts since u asked neutrals.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:48 pm

The team is still great, the problem is that their competition is greater. Madrid lost the league with CR's goals and will surely lose it again without them. Not replacing such a player while trying to compete with the Messi isn't gonna work out at all.

In CL they have much more of a chance. Most probably won't win it, but will do a good campaign.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:00 pm

There's a drought of top, top talent going on in football. You want to sign a top-20 player? Who can even make a top-20 list? And some of the top ones are in their 30s.

RM seem a bit lost in this market. They're known for truly marque signings. But what do they do when those aren't around? Nothing, it seems.

Man City took a bit of a gamble on Sané and De Bruyne. Turned out great for them.
Liverpool signed Salah, who turned out great.
Juventus took a bit of a gamble on Sandro and maybe Dybala. Worked out great.
Barca got a top player in Coutinho.
Everton signed Richarlison only for some 45m.

It seems to me like Real Madrid are a bit lost in this market. They need to be taking a chance on these type of players, but instead they keep waiting and waiting for that absolute superstar. But when these players break out at other clubs, they won't be moved just like that any more. It's time to turn off the "Galacticos" mode.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:03 pm

They took a lot of gambles with the younger players they have. Theo, Ceballos, Llorente, Vallejo, Asensio, Kovacic, Vinicius, Odriozola, etc.

The problem is that their domestic rival has solid team + the GOAT. You can't gamble against Messi over 38 games. They need reliable quality (like Modric, Marcelo and co.) and tons of reliable goals (like?).
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:08 pm

Real Madrid are trying to be a bit too cute with not replacing Ronaldo's goals. I get that Real Madrid played through Ronaldo, which is why he scored so much but you still need to replace that input, one way or another and I don't think it's going to be as easy as "others will step up".

Otherwise the squad is in excellent shape if they keep Modric. Signed Odriozola, who is probably more talented than even Carvajal, improved on Navas by signing a world class GK in Courtois. Varane and Ramos are excellent, Kroos and Modric can dominate any midfield still, their backups are excellent as well.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:13 pm

rincon wrote:They took a lot of gambles with the younger players they have. Theo, Ceballos, Llorente, Vallejo, Asensio, Kovacic, Vinicius, Odriozola, etc.

The problem is that their domestic rival has solid team + the GOAT. You can't gamble against Messi over 38 games. They need reliable quality (like Modric, Marcelo and co.) and tons of reliable goals (like?).

I think you're missing the point if you think those players are in the same category of signings as the ones I mentioned. Guys like De Bruyne, Sané and Salah showcased their talent a lot more than the likes of Ceballos or Vallejo. Madrid simply haven't been looking in the right direction in the transfer market for a while. They're either signing the biggest fish - which aren't there - or the smaller ones. While other clubs sign the medium-sized ones that actually grow to be large. It's this Sané and Salah segment of the market that Madrid has been ignoring and now they're left holding their fish in their hand.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Yeah, Perez's Madrid doesn't deal up with the Sane's and Salah's of the footballing world. Guys who honestly are class footballers but for reasons that are beyond arrogant, don't qualify as "Madrid quality" footballers, according to upper management anyway.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Banking on crooked Bale and Benzema to deliver the goods is bad but I can understand Perez. He'd like to spend € 200M on Neymar or Mbappe but they can't be gotten even for € 1 billion and anyone else is not worth spending > € 150 million on. Can't do much there.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:52 pm

We’re doomed imo.

Goals are math and you can’t expect other people to score more goals when they get a bigger opportunity.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:52 am

Well you asked for it and most have said we are strong overall, but missing a credible scorer, something that even you said at one point. I think all of us, excluding Turok, the only remaining fanboy, agree that Benzema is a disaster and that we desperately need a proven scorer. A re-energized Bale will help but how long before he gets injured. And definitely Mayoral or de Tomas are not an answer. But you must know, that noone will replace Ronaldo nor his 50 goals. That will come with a different tactics, not all reliant on a single player and of course a coach who has different tactics and can teach, something the previous coach seemed incapable of doing.

You are awful hard on Perez, first off for letting Ronaldo go and secondly for not getting a replacement / scorer. You must know that there was no way Ronaldo would accept the change of tactics nor that Perez (being the financial genius that he is) would submit to Ronaldo’s blackmail salary demands.

And you also must have seen that the only few viable options were seriously out of reach. So issue then comes down to go get us someone who can score. On that basis I agree with you and I believe most that have posted here will also, in that Perez needs to bring in someone to put Benz on bench and can score. I would have preferred two and get rid of Benz, but at this point, I would accept just one.

There is one available I might add and his current team have expected it all summer long making alterntaive acquistions. It will be expensive 100 - 110M, but relative in today’s market. That is Rodrigo. He is not the best, but better than Benz, plus he has Lopetequi’s confidence.

If today’s story comes to fruition, a midfield of Thiago, Modric, Kroos, Isco behind a front line of Rodrigo Asensio is not bad at all.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the best players all time, one of the two best this era. When a player like that leaves, it's impossible to replace him, what is left for you to do is build the most competitive team possible.

I look around our squad and i see arguably top3-5 players everywhere, except Benzema of course. I genuinely think that even if we had signed Lewandowski as a CF you would still be hurting because you would be thinking of all those games vs Bayern when he was usually against us.

Perez and Madrid are being smart, plaing the market and not overspending and waiting for the right opportunities. If they could have signed Neymar or Mbappe, they would have. But aside from those two, there is no other super talent in football right now, so why spend 200 mil on Hazard or players like that?

There will be a clear shift in Madrid this season, in how we play football in order to maximize the talent of all the world class players we have. This is what we will bank on, that plus giving more chances to Asensio up top, and Bale as well. Could we use another CF? sure.

At the end of the day, this is football not tennis, when you come up against CR, you are not playing Nadal on Roland Garros, you are playing a bunch of other dudes too. Barca have Messi, and they have been doing a wonderful choke job in CL for like 5 years. CR won multiple CLs in madrid, not just because he is great but mainly because he was supported by some of the most elite players european football has seen. You have to appreciate that.

I think DoC that you are very very dramatic. You have to stop and pause here because what we won over the past 5 seasons was historical. We are starting a new cycle, simple as that, and as of now, we still have an elite team. CR is gone and we are digging our graves because we did not spend 300 mil on some half baked replacement who is not even half as good? lol no.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:16 pm

Special talent like Neymar ? Has he ever done anything special ?

Just asking tho
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by terrance511 Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:15 pm

im more concern with the coach.

i think lopetegui will get a free season regardless result. hope he make good use of that chance and build something.

good players will come sooner or later.
terrance511
terrance511
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:54 pm

This coach is better in many ways than previous.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 pm

futbol_bill wrote:This coach is better in many ways than previous.

You know that statement is gonna be countered by "Zidane won titles, what has Lope done do be better?". Just letting you know one time.

Also, I know he said neutrals but I still think DoC is being dramatic in how he perceives things at Madrid currently. We are really not that badly off. The squad is still very competitive and would challenge for various titles. We probably won't win any but I never thought the club would win 3 CL titles in a row so what do I really know.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:11 pm

Doc wrote:
futbol_bill wrote:This coach is better in many ways than previous.

You know that statement is gonna be countered by "Zidane won titles, what has Lope done do be better?". Just letting you know one time.

Yeah, I’m expecting that! Just to add a little fuel to it, one of the better traits is current is Spanish (as in Spanish tactics, and knows the players) vs some foreigner!! LOL
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:11 pm

You have to explain what you mean when you make a statement like that. We did not won't 3 CLs with Zidane because he is the best coach ever, clearly he is not. The factor that make one coach better than the other are subjective.

I would argue that Lopetegui just has a better ability to think attacking football through precise schemes and coach it to the team. We will see that during the season but I have clearly seen bribes of that during the preseason already. Yet this might not make him successful in Madrid lol there are so many factors involved

Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:28 pm

Lopetegui failed to win a single title with Porto in his 2 seasons there. And we're talking about a historically one-sided league with 3 national competitions. Laughing

I don't think I've seen a coach get this much hype just because the (stacked) national side that he coached looked good in qualifiers and friendlies. Santini's France was one of the best national sides I've ever seen, but that didn't make him a world class coach nor did it prevent him from failing when his team had to perform in a major tournament.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:32 pm

farfan wrote:Lopetegui failed to win a single title with Porto in his 2 seasons there. And we're talking about a historically one-sided league with 3 national competitions. Laughing

I don't think I've seen a coach get this much hype just because the (stacked) national side that he coached looked good in qualifiers and friendlies. Santini's France was one of the best national sides I've ever seen, but that didn't make him a world class coach nor did it prevent him from failing when his team had to perform in a major tournament.

Zidane was the worst Castilla manager we've had for a long time.

Sometimes some managers need the right talent and types to perform well. And it's not like Benfica weren't incredible when he was at Porto.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Why is Zidane clearly not the best coach ever? not saying that he is... but what are your standards? Are they performance or subjective? If they're subjective, don't even both writing a response. The response would have as much value as my grandmother's because it's just opinion.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:35 pm

This section can stand a bit of levity!

An old guy should be permitted to troll a certain agenda focused poster every now and then! Heck, I’m just pleased Flo listened to me for once!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next