Firenze
Hapless_Hans
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Andrew Robertson Appreciation Thread Empty Andrew Robertson Appreciation Thread

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu May 03, 2018 4:13 pm

What a player, what a relevation.

Signed from Hull City for 8m £ last summer, he barely featured at all during his first few months at Liverpool, before a Moreno injury provided the opportunity for him to get a string of starts.
He's been first choice ever since, and I have not seen him play a single bad game.
He's been consistently very good, and absolutely fantastic at times.

I will say that he has been the best left back in the PL 17/18

Let's take a moment to look back at how he got here

Nishankly wrote:Robertson in 2012

SportsJoe.ie wrote:Andy Robertson has graduated from the Queen's Park academy and, at 18, he's lying around in the summer just waiting for the Queen's Park season to start so he can make his debut for the senior team.

Who the *bleep* is Queen's Park, you ask?
Easy. Glasgow side. Amateur. Actually, they're the only fully-amateur club who today play in the Scottish Professional Football League.
So, when you're playing for Queen's Park, you're operating at a decent standard of amateur football but, essentially, you're still looking for a job. So was Andy Robertson.

That was five and a half years ago, and 18-year-old Andrew Robertson did get a job.
He worked for the ticket hotline of Queen's Park F.C. home ground, Glasgow's Hampden Park, 40 hours a week, Monday-Friday 9 to 5.
Two times a week, after work he went to training, as on the weekend he also played for Queen's Park FC in the Scottish Football League Third Division, then the fourth tier of Scottish football.
Those of the few hundred fans watching the games who had ordered tickets via phone had probably ordered them from Robertson.

It's no hard to see why Robertson thought he needed to find employment apart from football, having been sent away from Celtic's academy at age 15 for being too small and too skinny.
"It was tough, as I'd been a Celtic fan from birth", he says about that time.

The Sunday Post wrote:During his time at [Queen's Park], he was on an amateur contract so wasn’t getting paid. His full-time job was also at Hampden – answering the phones in the ticket centre for concerts and matches.

Robertson had joined the club having been released by Celtic, making his debut in front of a crowd of less than 400 people at the age of 18.

Playing for Queen's Park, he was still hoping for scouts in the audience, and for the chance to become a professional footballer. He had made a deal with his parents that he had 12 months playing football, until he was to concentrate looking for another career path.
Andrew Robertson Appreciation Thread Andy

He was noticed, and bought by Dundee United in summer 2013, where he was named PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year in 13/14, then went to Hull in 2014 for 2.85m £, where he was relegated, promoted, and relegated again.

Now he's playing in the Champions League final, having just turned 24.

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussball/international/england/1802/Artikel/liverpools-linksverteidiger-andrew-robertson-verliebt-in-den-ticketverkaeufer.html
https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/queens-park-hail-former-player-andy-robertson-as-he-reaches-champions-league-final-with-liverpool/
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/tweet-2012-andy-robertson-158927
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Andrew Robertson Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Andrew Robertson Appreciation Thread

Post by Firenze Thu May 03, 2018 4:35 pm

I mean, it's a nice humble origin story for him. But the reason for him being in the CL final is Salah.

Let's not act like this guy is anything special though, he will be at Stoke in 18 months. He has one of the lowest Whoscored ratings for a starter in his position in the league. Don't want to hear how he's a good player. He isn't, and he also isn't some youth player. He should be in his prime/entering his prime. He's a stop-gap for Liverpool at LB.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Andrew Robertson Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Andrew Robertson Appreciation Thread

Post by Robespierre Thu May 03, 2018 4:37 pm

I expect Firenze to say he is new Flanagan

Watched just 3 times, no idea, better than Moreno though
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Thu May 03, 2018 4:38 pm

^^^ Almost Very Happy
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu May 03, 2018 9:01 pm

He's been really good, I thought he'd be no one but he's the best we've had since 2009 Riise.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Thu May 03, 2018 10:17 pm

He was good in Hull the season before, but this season he exploded. I thought it was a good deal for cheap,  but the way he's been playing, I'd say he's a long term solution for LB position, he's been tremendous this season.
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu May 03, 2018 10:58 pm

Best LB in England. Gary Neville also thinks so
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri May 04, 2018 7:18 am

Had the beating of the more experienced Florenzi comfortably over both legs, that's for sure.

Was largely impressed by both him and Arnold.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Best full back in PL easily

Easily.

Let's see how Mendy can do now that he is fit, but this kid has been nothing short of sensational since he became starter last fall.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:22 pm

lol

very strange seeing Hans salivate over this lad each week
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Even before he joined Liverpool Robbo was touted as one of the upcoming talented British fullbacks. He was great at a really bad Hull side. I was happy we signed him and thought he would do good but he's been excellent so far.
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:24 pm

How is it strange, this lad gives a 8/10 each week. Unreal buy for 8m from Klopp.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Best full back in PL easily

Easily.

Let's see how Mendy can do now that he is fit, but this kid has been nothing short of sensational since he became starter last fall.
:bow:
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:25 pm

McLewis wrote:Had the beating of the more experienced Florenzi comfortably over both legs, that's for sure.

Was largely impressed by both him and Arnold.

Got Mc's approval as well. Proud
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Nishankly wrote:How is it strange, this lad gives a 8/10 each week. Unreal buy for 8m from Klopp.

He looks decent but to consistently call him the best fullback in the league? absolutely OUT.

35 year old Young was better than him last season and I won't hear otherwise. And Young is bang average.

Said it before, people over-hyping him for his humble origin story. He's a B+ player.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:33 pm

Used to be one of my first signings in my FM2015 and FM2016 saves. Proud

Best LB in the league along with Mendy.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Firenze wrote:
Nishankly wrote:How is it strange, this lad gives a 8/10 each week. Unreal buy for 8m from Klopp.

He looks decent but to consistently call him the best fullback in the league? absolutely OUT.

35 year old Young was better than him last season and I won't hear otherwise. And Young is bang average.

Said it before, people over-hyping him for his humble origin story. He's a B+ player.

Humble origins? Lad's got a british passport FFS
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Casciavit wrote:Used to be one of my first signings in my FM2015 and FM2016 saves. Proud

Mendy has not even played to prove he is best in the league, lol, why are you guys giving him credit for one season with monaco when he had good CL games?

people here are quick to shit on Ligue 1 but Mendy, who doesnt even have 10 EPL games, is somehow is the best LB in the league lmao
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:
Casciavit wrote:Used to be one of my first signings in my FM2015 and FM2016 saves. Proud

Mendy has not even played to prove he is best in the league, lol, why are you guys giving him credit for one season with monaco when he had good CL games?

people here are quick to shit on Ligue 1 but Mendy, who doesnt even have 10 EPL games, is somehow is the best LB in the league lmao

Cascia's obsessed with everything City and Pep, you know that.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Robertson's sense of positioning and tactical movement is elite.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:

Have you seen his competition lmao it's not much. If you honestly think Mendy wouldn't have confirmed that he was the best LB in the league last year if he wasn't injured then I don't know what to tell you.

He was bought for 50M and is talented. He's also playing for a coach who is going to utilize his skillet. He'll have the opportunity to shine no doubt about it. The injury is just delaying the inevitable. That's why I say he's the best LB in the league along with Robertson even though he hasn't played that much.

So if that gets your panties in a bunch then you really need to calm down brah. Youre trying to debate something that really isn't worth debating. He isn't going to flop and he'll just confirm what I said in a few months.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Mendy's limited performances have been at a level far beyond any other LB in the league, this is fact.

It's just a matter of time until it's accepted as such.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:32 pm

Firenze wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:

Cascia's obsessed with everything City and Pep, you know that.

Laughing

What you call obsessed I call watching the games and analyzing the performances. I get that's difficult to do with United these days, but you should try it man. Maybe you'll be able to add something worthwhile to a discussion then.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:32 pm

Young dominated Salah last season. Until I see Mendy do that, OUT.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Firenze wrote:Young dominated Salah last season. Until I see Mendy do that, OUT.

So did Paul Dummett, doesn't mean anything tbh.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum