The Cesc-Matic and Pedro-Willian conundrums

2 posters

Go down

The Cesc-Matic and Pedro-Willian conundrums Empty The Cesc-Matic and Pedro-Willian conundrums

Post by Katy Perry Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:05 am

Now that we've seen 19 games of the season of both the pairs alternating starts, who would you rather have starting vs Spurs and in the remainder of the games?

Premise: I rate all 4 players very highly and who I'd leave on the bench would provide a very high level if he had to start and will be immensely valuable as in game substitutes.

Cesc-Matic: Matic.

Now, before I explain my reasoning, let me just say that I was really impressed with how Cesc emerged from this difficult situation he had and I really respect him for that. It was analogous with what happened with the special one and Juan, one of our best players got ostracized by the new coach coming in for incompatibility issues.
Unlike Mata tho, Cesc never bitched about it, tried his best to learn and assimilate Conte's requests and performed admirably whenever asked upon, and is now a very valuable member of our team.

The reason I prefer Matic is that I feel like playing both Cesc and Hazard is too much of a luxury. Both are players that have low workrate and that will always tend to extricate from Conte's firm grip.

Matic, as well Kantè, does a lot of the dirty work of our team and covers an insane amount of space, and is amongst the most clever players we have so he doesn't just run for nothing (cough Ramires cough). He finally returned to his 2014 calendar year form and returned to be one of the best and most complete midfielders in the PL.

I do believe tho, that there will be games where we can afford the luxury of playing with Cesc and Hazard, or when it's better to do so. Like games vs Sunderland, WBA etc when we have 70% possession and the opponents don't dare to put many players forward and we need Cesc to break through.
In the other games, he can be a very impactful sub. We've seen Conte subbing him in for Matic to make use of more attacking minded players, and we've also seen Conte removing one of the AMs to put him in and form a 3 man midfield when we needed to control the match.

Pedro-Willian: Pedro but very slightly.

I think Pedro returned to his peak 09-10 form, when he broke out in the elite football scene and become a key assets of both Barcelona and Spain. That is both due to Conte instilling renewed confidence and this 3-4-2-1 fitting him.

I feel like we really need someone that is more direct, that makes more runs behind the defenders and can be relied as a secondary goalscorer. He is also very good at making one twos with the fullback overlapping as he played with Barcelona for so long.

On the other hand, while I do love Willy, I don't think he can be relied as a goalscorer. Even in the game vs Stoke when he scored two he missed two sitters. It's ridiculous really, he always misses easy goals.
He's also too much of a ball hogger, I feel like he sometimes slows down our offensive action, and I've noted that Moses isn't really involved whenever Willy plays.
He would be really useful as a sub tho, given his ability to disrupt defenses and create goalscoring chances outta nowhere.
Katy Perry
Katy Perry
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

The Cesc-Matic and Pedro-Willian conundrums Empty Re: The Cesc-Matic and Pedro-Willian conundrums

Post by Kick Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:23 am

I love the Kante - Matic midfield and Cesc super sub, it's worked wonders this season, and Cesc has been on the pitch for more of our conceded goals, so for those two reasons, I prefer Matic.

But Cesc is a great rotation option.

I agree on Pedro over Willian too. He just fits the system better than Willian, but just like Cesc, Willian is a great option off the bench or in rotation.

All are great options in fantastic form, let's hope they keep it up. Competition is great to have.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Cesc-Matic and Pedro-Willian conundrums Empty Re: The Cesc-Matic and Pedro-Willian conundrums

Post by Katy Perry Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:13 pm

http://theprideoflondon.com/2017/01/02/willian-pedro-decision/

An interesting article going more on depth on the topic.
Katy Perry
Katy Perry
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down