zigra
zizzle
Adit
39 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Turkey and Erdogan Watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Turkey and Erdogan Watch

Post by titosantill Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:57 pm

those numbers are way too large to classify as some sort of coup plot. if 15,200 people from the education ministry and 2745 judges not to mention all the other members of the public staff, are aware of a coup plot and are part of it, i'm not sure if it can be classified a coup. a coup's done in secret, you don't need 15,000 members of the private sector (who probably have wives and girlfriends) to assist you in anyway, shape or form in the execution of a coup. it will be too damn public. what do professors know about plotting a coup? something isn't right

titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:38 am

titosantill wrote:those numbers are way too large to classify as some sort of coup plot. if 15,200 people from the education ministry and 2745 judges not to mention all the other members of the public staff, are aware of a coup plot and are part of it, i'm not sure if it can be classified a coup. a coup's done in secret, you don't need 15,000 members of the private sector (who probably have wives and girlfriends) to assist you in anyway, shape or form in the execution of a coup. it will be too damn public. what do professors know about plotting a coup? something isn't right

Obviously Erdogan has had these lists ready, of people he'd rather not have in the education and justice systems, because his intel suggests they're not religious enough. This coup attempt has given him the excuse to dismiss just everyone he feels like, apparently. They will be replaced by religious people. The police force in Turkey is already "Islamist", i.e. religious education is given to them and now it looks likely the same will be done to the army next. When secular people are now being purged from there. Obviously the education and justice systems will become more Islamist now. We are witnessing the end of Kemal Atatürk's modern, secular Turkey and seeing it turn into an Islamist state.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:33 pm

Apparently the turkish regime has banned scientists from leaving the country and has summoned turkish scientists from abroad back to the country.
(reported by german mag Spiegel which refers to the state news agency Anadolu.

Source: http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/tuerkei-regierung-verhaengt-ausreiseverbot-fuer-akademiker-a-1103850.html

Last edited by rwo power on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link to the source (sorry, German, but nonetheless) - rwo)
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:15 am

Erdogan and his cronies declared some 10000 passports as invalid.

Turkish scientists in Germany were recalled to Turkey, but it looks as if they are not so enthusiastic about it. They are afraid though that if they don't return they will not be able to visit their relatives in Turkey anymore and be put into prison if they try in future.

Source:
- http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/reisepaesse-tuerkei-101.html
- http://www.tagesschau.de/inland/wissenschaftskooperation-tuerkei-101.html
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:18 am

what kind of scientists are they.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:27 am

On TV, 44 scientists from Aachen were mentioned - that would likely be engineers and natural scientists as they will probably be from the RWTH Aachen, a research university located in Aachen (NRW). Others were not directly mentioned, but I would assume they come from varying departments.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:48 pm

Yeah, yeah. But "democratically elected by the people". Rolling Eyes

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:36 am

futbol wrote:
FennecFox7 wrote:All of a sudden turkey is doing very well on its own economically as a Muslim country without any dependence on oil or whatever and the west is shitting their pants.

By no means am I for a religious government but let's be honest. There's a fair amount of people here that would like nothing more then to see every Arabic and Muslim country stay a third world haven. Racism at its finest. Note; this is not all of you, but I have my doubts after reading this thread

I don't agree with it either, but it's a democracy. And the people elected ergodan into power, so stop whining. The important thing is that it's a legitimate election with a legitimate leader, even though he is a bit of an asshole. Overthrowing a government that is elected by the people? Lol. Wouldn't be surprised if Israel was involved in this.

Turkey isn't doing well at all, it's a big scam. Turkey will be another Greece sooner or later. Turkey didn't suddenly start to produce worthwhile goods through scientific and industrial development. The country still lives from agriculture, textile and tourism. The only thing Erdogan did was to sell the country to foreign investors through privatisation. Example? The biggest telecommunications company of the country belongs to some Saudi group now, the harbor of Mersin belongs to some Singapur group etc. That's the only thing that brought an influx of money into the country but it won't be ever-lasting. You can only sell so much.

In Turkey literally everyone is in huge debt. The private household debt has risen from 50 billion Lira to 900 billion Lira in the last decade. Everyone in Turkey has a credit card and the whole thing will collapse one day. An economy can't be sustained through privatisation and consumption by debt. Turkey doesn't produce anything. Where does this sudden wealth come from?

If you stopped being a muppet who sees racism everywhere and just educated yourself you would be better off. "Looks like you haven't been to Turkey". rofl I'm in Turkey every year and even speak the language fluently, you muppet. Laughing I never speak about stuff I'm not knowledgeable about.

When I wrote this 1 Dollar = 2.9 Turkish Lira.

Right now 1 Dollar = 5.9 Turkish Lira.

Inflation rate is at 15 percent.

"Turkey doing well economically." Laughing

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:27 pm

My bad, 6.1 Liras. I can't keep up with the daily devaluation of the Lira.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:09 am

Was obvious. Erdogan is a fraud.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:37 pm

futbol wrote:My bad, 6.1 Liras. I can't keep up with the daily devaluation of the Lira.

Reached 7.5 Liras today. lmao

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 pm

What is happening?

They are printing money to pay off external debt?
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:58 am

They fraudulently increased the GDP by privatization, now everything that could be sold is sold, and it turns out that meant the government got a lot of cash and lost a lot of property, which usually means inflation.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:52 am

Privatisation is not a problem. As long as employment is generated who cares about the ownership of properties?

Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:36 am

VivaStPauli wrote:They fraudulently increased the GDP by privatization, now everything that could be sold is sold, and it turns out that meant the government got a lot of cash and lost a lot of property, which usually means inflation.
Uh.... no. Not at all. Privatization has like 0% to do with inflation, although sometimes inflation and privatizations have the same cause (deficits and the need to finance them). Inflation is almost always monetary problem.

What a bump by futbol tho, this is exploding now.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Privatization has everything to do with inflation if the Government uses the money generated by privatization to flood the markets with it, which Turkey has done. I admit that it's not as direct as I made it sound, since there's plenty of ways to privatize without inflation, but in Turkeys case they used the money to puffer-fish their economy to look bigger and better, to fake growth that wasn't really there, and now it turns out that those Lira won't really buy you all that much on non-biased markets, hence the drop in value.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:44 pm

Nah that's not how it works. What matters for inflation is how much money is in circulation. It doesn't matter if the amount comes from the government or from the private sector (unless the government prints money to do so, which would not be the case in a privatization as they're getting money from there). The two can certainly coincide, but there is no causal link between the two.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Yeah not in general, it was in Turkey, though.
Or rather: the inflation comes from the political influence on their monetary and banking system, and privatization was how they initially masked the artificial inflation of the economy.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Not to say the highest FDI recieving states are China and India. I have never really heard about the FDI creating inflation as the FDI amount is usually not that significant to create inflation.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:55 am

People and investors are afraid of further US sanctions. People exchange their Lira for US Dollars, investor hold back or get their money worth out of the country in any way possible = the market is flooded with Lira which no one wants, economic growth goes down the drain.

As far as Erdogan goes, I don't like him, the Turkish people allowed him to become a defacto dictator so they get what they deserve. The problem is Turkey is a NATO member and the last civilizied buffer zone between the crazy extremist regimes and Europe. If they fall, we're all in trouble, long term.
VivaStPauli wrote:Privatization has everything to do with inflation if the Government uses the money generated by privatization to flood the markets with it, which Turkey has done. I admit that it's not as direct as I made it sound, since there's plenty of ways to privatize without inflation, but in Turkeys case they used the money to puffer-fish their economy to look bigger and better, to fake growth that wasn't really there, and now it turns out that those Lira won't really buy you all that much on non-biased markets, hence the drop in value.

Also this, quoted for truth. The situation was artificially made worse.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:47 pm

Apparently, now the Turkish ministry of the interior fired off a warning that they'll prosecute people who say the economy is doing badly. Because that would be fake new. Oh lordy, Trump must be so envious right now.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:27 am

Probably alternating between jelly and proud tbh.

This sucks honestly. Istanbul was once a top dream destination for me due to its historical significance.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:46 am

Shutting down social media accounts and asking people to use their foreign currencies to buy the lira, so it would gain strength, what an economic mastermind Erdogan is eco smile

Difficult to see a quick end to this. Probably just a matter of time before companies (and banks?) in Turkey who have debt in foreign currencies start going bust.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:48 am

McLewis wrote:Probably alternating between jelly and proud tbh.

This sucks honestly. Istanbul was once a top dream destination for me due to its historical significance.

Went there in 2012 during Ramadan. Beautiful place+atmosphere. Topkapi Palace is probably the best tourist attraction I've been to.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:34 pm

M99 wrote:
McLewis wrote:Probably alternating between jelly and proud tbh.

Went there in 2012 during Ramadan. Beautiful place+atmosphere. Topkapi Palace is probably the best tourist attraction I've been to.

Ugh jelly.

The city's Byzantine history is fascinating to me. So is the Ottoman as well.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Talked to a Turkish guy who works for an energy company last weekend and he said one big problem is that Erdogan engineered an huge construction boom, a construction bubble, as among his closest buddies are construction company owners, and that bubble has now burst
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next