Dutti
TalkingReckless
sportsczy
Soul
EarlyPrototype
37 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Need a new laptop! - Page 2 Empty Re: Need a new laptop!

Post by Babun Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:35 pm

EarlyPrototype wrote:This Lenovo is supposed to be coming soon. Not sure how long I have to wait for details...I am expecting 1000+ though. However if I manage to get a 25% discount...

http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/z-series/z510/#features
That's their link for their student offers in UK:
http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/deals-and-coupons/back-to-school-deals/?redir=y&redirsrc=6

Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Guys I am looking at the last model on this link which is 1250 dollars.  http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

I think this is worth it. What do you think?

Actually gonna read more reviews first. I'm jumping into things way too quickly.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Lenovos are great. Easily the best built laptops I would say.

And that laptop is beastly. SLI NVidia cards on a laptop Shocked

If you get that laptop I would buy another harddrive on the side. 5400 rpm would be a bottle neck for that system. You put the OS on the SSD but still, a 7200 would be faster.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Having been a contributor to notebook forums it makes me cringe when you guys refer to Dell, HP, Lenovo etc. as the laptop makers considering 94%+ laptops are made by a few Taiwanese companies. Compel and Qanta alone comprise of over 50% of all laptops >.>

Lenovo gets its laptops from Qanta, Compal, Wistron/Acer and Flextronics and Inventec.
HP gets its laptops from Qanta, Compal, Wistron/Acer, Flextronics, Inventec and Foxconn.
Dell gets its laptops from Qanta, Compal, Wistron/Acer, Pegatron/Asus and Foxconn.

Almost everyone gets laptops from Qanta.

Do you see why its stupid to say HP or so makes better laptops than Dell? Also, there have been SLi laptops since 2006...
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Phritz wrote:Having been a contributor to notebook forums it makes me cringe when you guys refer to Dell, HP, Lenovo etc. as the laptop makers considering 94%+ laptops are made by a few Taiwanese companies. Compel and Qanta alone comprise of over 50% of all laptops >.>

Lenovo gets its laptops from Qanta, Compal, Wistron/Acer and Flextronics and Inventec.
HP gets its laptops from Qanta, Compal, Wistron/Acer, Flextronics, Inventec and Foxconn.
Dell gets its laptops from Qanta, Compal, Wistron/Acer, Pegatron/Asus and Foxconn.

Do you see why its stupid to say HP or so makes better laptops than Dell? Also, there have been SLi laptops since 2006...
I'd say you've got no idea how things are made in China. One has to follow the production step by step to ensure the quality management at all stages. Each of the HP etc. have got their representatives in China who check the quality. Also, producing at the same place != same quality. HP uses crap mainboards etc. If the components are crap it doesn't matter who puts them together the end product will be crap anyways. Each of the company have got their team for driver optimizations and testing. The best hardware is useless without proper software. All of it costs money. The one who pays least gets the worst of the bunch fom Qanta. HP tends to save money regarding quality components and software optimizations instead they offer other warranty services.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:11 pm

Phritz wrote:Having been a contributor to notebook forums it makes me cringe when you guys refer to Dell, HP, Lenovo etc. as the laptop makers considering 94%+ laptops are made by a few Taiwanese companies. Compel and Qanta alone comprise of over 50% of all laptops >.>

Cool story breh. Should tell it at parties.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:29 am

I had this kick arse Samsung laptop about 5 years back and then my nephew decided to pour his bottle of milk on it the 20 secs i wasn't paying attention Sad 

Loved the thing.

Right now, i have a 2010 white macbook that i installed windows on. Reason i like macs is that they look good despite being built like a tank + great components. Have had really good experiences with Lenovo. When they were still IBM, that's all i used.

I highly suggest going to a computer store and actually physically touching and seeing the product before you buy it if you can. Believe it or not, some laptops feel solid while others feel like they're one stiff breeze away from falling apart...
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:40 am

EarlyPrototype wrote:Guys I am looking at the last model on this link which is 1250 dollars.  http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

I think this is worth it. What do you think?

Actually gonna read more reviews first. I'm jumping into things way too quickly.
I have that laptop lol..

It's great, the touch pad is pretty shit though.. It's one big touchpad, the left and right buttons are not split so it can get annoying sometimes trying to scroll and stuff.. Clicking the buttons requires more effort than some other laptops (they're 'hard') but you can get around that buy just tapping anywhere on the pad lightly instead of actually using the left click button

I also bought a mouse for home use, that works also Smile

I've only played PES 2013 and Far Cry 3 on it literally once lol.. Far Cry was able to play on the highest setting but the players mouths moved before the words came out (if that makes sense).. Don't know if that means to dumb down the settings or what lol.. I forget if I was running stuff in the background at the time
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Squee! I just got a fantastic new laptop from a German Linux online shop today! A "TuxedoBook" with 15.6" display (Full-HD), Intel Core i5-3230M, 8 GByte RAM, 1 TB HD, 64 GB SSD and pre-installed Ubuntu 13.04 (64bit). Wonderful machine, and the price was okay, too, with 870 Euros. *bounce* *bounce*
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:22 pm

rwo power wrote:Squee! I just got a fantastic new laptop from a German Linux online shop today! A "TuxedoBook" with 15.6" display (Full-HD), Intel Core i5-3230M, 8 GByte RAM, 1 TB HD, 64 GB SSD and pre-installed Ubuntu 13.04 (64bit). Wonderful machine, and the price was okay, too, with 870 Euros. *bounce* *bounce*
damm Europe is expensive... most new high-mid end Haswell laptops are going for around $1000-$1300, you could get a MBA in US for that much and dual boot linux, windows and Mac OS
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Butt wrote:damm Europe is expensive... most new high-mid end Haswell laptops are going for around $1000-$1300, you could get a MBA in US for that much and dual boot linux, windows and Mac OS
Well, I definitely didn't want a dual boot machine. I have one annoying laptop that still has Windows on it for part of my work and that is more than enough. I guess if you specify what you want in your machine and let the shop configure the Linux for your needs (I admit it, I decided to be lazy this time), one has to pay a little more. But for that I got the machine specifically built and set up for me within 4 workdays.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:25 am

well linux isn't that hard to install
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:30 am

Butt wrote:well linux isn't that hard to install
Well, my Desktop machine runs Gentoo Razz As I mentioned, I decided I'd be lazy and moreover, why should I buy a laptop with pre-installed Windows and pay for that when I would delete it anyway to install a Linux over it?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:56 am

I don't know if I'm the only one on this forum who has a Macbook Pro, but I haven't seen anyone else suggest it, so I will. I couldn't be happier with my Macbook pro w/Retina (most recent model). But I've been using it for video editing. I wouldn't advice getting one of these, unless you need a really powerful machine suited for extensive video editing or creative software that just won't run the way it's intended, on (the majority of) windows computers.

Need a new laptop! - Page 2 New-macbook-pro-retina-hands-pics-DSC_5527-rm-verge-1020_large_verge_medium_landscape

Pros:

- It's visually gorgeous. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that when you get used to it, everything else will look bleak, in comparison. The "Retina" display provides 'the highest resolution for a notebook, ever'.

- It's awesome, perfect for video editing. Anyone who edits videos extensively will tell you this.

- It's the most silent-running electronic device I've ever had.

- It's lightweight, easy to carry around, and it looks.. well, it looks like a Macbook Pro.

- Boots up really fast. At least, compared to what I've been used to before.

- Keyboard and touchpad- navigation is very intuitive, and if you get used to it, you'll never look back again.

- While viruses (and keyloggers, in particular) that attack ios systems, do exist, there's a relatively limited amount of them compared to windows- targeting viruses. The risk is still there, and god knows Apple haters will do everything in their power to tell you that the risk is the same on both OS's, but feedback and personal experience tells me that you're far more likely to get viruses on a machine operated by Windows.. for what it matters.

The few games that are available through the App Store seem to run perfectly fine on the highest video settings. It does, however make the notebook heat up real fast - after about an hour of playing The Witcher 2 on the highest video settings, it started heating up my lap to the point where it was starting to get really uncomfortable. The fan also started making some noise. The noise was barely noticeable, but it's still pretty annoying. Conclusion: hardware requirement doesn't seem to be an issue, in terms of affecting on-screen performance, but evidently the thin frame of the notebook is not designed to run CPU-demanding games on the highest settings. I bought an ecological (no, I'm not a hipster, lol) "bamboo fan" from Macally, and it makes sure that my Mac always stays cool and silent, as long as I do not attempt what I mentioned above. Get a laptop stand w/fan, or place it on a solid surface, if you intend to play games on it. You shouldn't purchase a Macbook anyway, if you intend to use it for gaming!

Cons:

- Very expensive. Like you, I'm not a computer wiz, either. From what I hear, you can get far more powerful laptops, and even notebooks from other brands, at a cheaper price. I bought my macbook with an editing contest in mind, and even though I only placed second in the contest, I earned back a little bit more than I payed for the notebook. It was a gamble, but it payed off :-)

Personally, I think my Macbook is plenty powerful. I don't know what I'd need more powerful hardware/specs for. I payed about $2700-2900 for my 15" Macbook Pro with upgraded RAM, but that's just because Norwegian prices are stupidly inflated, and I went for a higher resolution monitor.

- While Macbooks look very neat and tidy, and the latest model is no exception to that; they all look the same. You won't exactly stand out if you have a macbook. There's a very limited selection of colors for them (only 1 color selection for the latest model, I believe), and unlike certain other brands, you can't customise it's panel art design.

I'm sure there are tons of other macbook cons that other people on here can tell you about, apart from the price and the lack of game-support. There are more pros, too, but these are the ones that came to mind as I was writing this post. Like I mentioned before, I wouldn't recommend getting a Mac, unless you need it for a specific task. If money is an issue, then you should steer away from Mac- products, they're definitely overpriced. If you're not too fuzzy about PC gaming (limited selection of purchasable games, supported by relatively few online multiplayer games) and
have a lot of cash to spare, then you might want to consider getting a Macbook pro Smile

Don't ask for an opinion on any Apple device from someone who immediately points out how overpriced they are. If you buy an Apple product, you should be aware that you're paying a lot for the brand name, alone. It should go without saying that you don't purchase an Apple product, if you're looking to save as much money as possible.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:49 am

I was looking at buying a new laptop, but all the ones in the price range I was looking at having the same kind of processors as the Samsung I bought a couple of years ago. I don't know anything about PC specs etc lol, my laptop only has 2gb RAM, decided I'm going to update it to 4-8, since it's pretty cheap. Can someone tell me exactly what improvements adding more RAM will give me hmm
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:04 am

Faster laptop basically. Faster loading, faster access time for everything.

Go for 8gb if you can. Along with an i5/i7 processor.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Firenze wrote:I was looking at buying a new laptop, but all the ones in the price range I was looking at having the same kind of processors as the Samsung I bought a couple of years ago. I don't know anything about PC specs etc lol, my laptop only has 2gb RAM, decided I'm going to update it to 4-8, since it's pretty cheap. Can someone tell me exactly what improvements adding more RAM will give me hmm

whats your price range?

And more RAM is better, everything runs faster and smoother
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:35 pm

SSD does a better job than faster processor or more ram. Buy a laptop with cheap HDD, replace the HDD with SSD which consumes very low amout of energy. I recommend Crucial M4 series. They consume less than 0.5 watt. It's also a help for people with older laptops. SSD+new battery would make your laptops like new ones.
I think buying a new laptop every two years is an incredible waste of money. Stationary pcs are much better. You can exchange any broken part for cheap and it's always faster than any laptop out there. Only buy a laptop if you really need to use it mobile at university, work etc.
4GB RAM is more than enough for anyone who doesn't use photoshop for living.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Butt wrote:
Firenze wrote:I was looking at buying a new laptop, but all the ones in the price range I was looking at having the same kind of processors as the Samsung I bought a couple of years ago. I don't know anything about PC specs etc lol, my laptop only has 2gb RAM, decided I'm going to update it to 4-8, since it's pretty cheap. Can someone tell me exactly what improvements adding more RAM will give me hmm

whats your price range?

And more RAM is better, everything runs faster and smoother

£400

I'm looking at this

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/sony-vaio-fit-15-e-svf1521a1ew-cek-15-laptop-white-21350484-pdt.html

hmm

this is what I currently have

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Laptop-Intel-i3-330M-Silver/dp/B003EJPK36

is it worth upgrading?

I only use my laptop casually, some photoshop, but I might start making videos for Youtube in the near future so that got me thinking of upgrading.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by ronalessi Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:02 pm

Firenze wrote:
£400

How important is 'long battery life' to you on a scale of 1 to 10?

And are you willing to stretch your budget to £600? Or is £400 your cut-off point?
ronalessi
ronalessi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:54 am

Bought 8 GB RAM for my laptop, read up on it, if you're using 32 bit OS (windows 7) you'll only ever get 3GB recognised. No I'm going to get an SSD, though looking it up, it seems to only save you like 5-15 second loading times.

Decided to stick with my current laptop since I read that it basically has the best processor you can get from a budget option hmm

Not sure I believe that since it's 3 and a half years old, but it does seem like all the ones I've looked at around £400 have worse processors. Will buy a decent desktop and keep this laptop I guess.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:10 am

Save up money, when u have 700 then I can get u a beast.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:06 pm

So it's my turn to ask for your very professional opinion:

I'm looking for a new laptop, my current one dies at a whim and become ridiculously slow whenever it charges. I hate it.

Anyways I was thinking of going for this: http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14-7437/pd?oc=dncwa2122s&model_id=inspiron-14-7437

But perhaps you guys know of a similar option for a better price? Or a better option for the same price?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:37 pm

just bought myself a refurb yoga pro 2 , 8gb ram, i5 4th gen, 256 ssd and 3200x1800 Multi-touch screen.

old laptop is a an hp and sounds like a 747 and heats up like a barabuce grill and shutdown every few hours
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:23 pm

RealGunner wrote:Save up money, when u have 700 then I can get u a beast.

Looking at buying one a month from now, was thinking 600 max but I might be a hipster and just buy a Macbook Pro. Can I game on that, anyone know? they look solid spec wise but I'm a pleb at stuff like that hmm
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Gaming is better on consoles imo. hmm

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next