M99
rwo power
VivaStPauli
Casciavit
barca 2011
74 posters

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Official Retirement Appreciation Thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by zizzle Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:59 pm

When he was playing in Madrid i really thought he was overrated since he scored a lot of "easy goals" and was "carried by his team". I remember him as a poacher who "somehow stumbled into the ball and scored skill-less goals". Now that i understand football better i can appreciate a him better, but still, he's a tier below the elites of his generation like Henry, Ronaldo, and Eto'o

zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Official Retirement Appreciation Thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Official Retirement Appreciation Thread

Post by Valkyrja Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:02 pm

zizzle wrote:When he was playing in Madrid i really thought he was overrated since he scored a lot of "easy goals" and was "carried by his team". I remember him as a poacher who "somehow stumbled into the ball and scored skill-less goals". Now that i understand football better i can appreciate a him better, but still, he's a tier below the elites of his generation like Henry, Ronaldo, and Eto'o
Eto'o is not in the same breathe with Raul, let alone Ronaldo.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:17 pm

titosantill wrote:he had to chose someone that he felt won't mind sitting on the bench. remember he also took guiza who was top scorer that year. raul was on the bench in the 06 world cup, and based on the season he had prior probably shouldn't have gone. my guess is the issues between him and aragonez started from there. a player like raul might not have taken sitting on the bench the way garcia did. its best he didn't get called up than for aragonez to hurt his pride by having him as fourth choice. unlucky for him, spain during his dominant years weren't so good (they had a shaky midfield),and some other teams were much stronger
No, not quite, The problems began early in the qualifying games for that Euro. Team started off poorly and Aragonez felt he had to change complacency in dressing room. Salgado and Raul were viewed as the problem. It worked and Raul was never called up after that. By the time, Euro did come about, Raul was actually playing well, but that team that qualified was much better without him. I was upset as I don't accept that Raul was ever complacent about anything and the fact that Aragonez selected Sergio and Guiza before him was disgusting. Raul by that point would have accepted being a bench player. But team won so we really can't complain. Raul's best years were behind him and same with him leaving Madrid. he still had several good years of futbol left in him, but his level had dropped to be able to continue at Madrid. It doesn't change his legend status, just another aging player that their game declines before they are ready to hang them up.

He will now rejoin the club and play an important role.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:18 pm

Valkyrja wrote:
zizzle wrote:When he was playing in Madrid i really thought he was overrated since he scored a lot of "easy goals" and was "carried by his team". I remember him as a poacher who "somehow stumbled into the ball and scored skill-less goals". Now that i understand football better i can appreciate a him better, but still, he's a tier below the elites of his generation like Henry, Ronaldo, and Eto'o
3 times CL winner: Check
Big game player: Check
Consistent top scorer: Check
Makes his team play better: Check
Hard worker: Check
Nation team achievements: Check

Now i know that Madrid fans hate Eto'o and he gave them a lot of good reasons to, but for the sake of being objective, how is he not on Rauls level to say the least?
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:21 pm

I remember Raúl for being not only a great player, but also a wonderful character. When Schalke won the DFB-Pokal, and all players went to the fans, Manuel Neuer (who was then Schalke's captain, but his move to Bayern was already announced) didn't dare go to the fans for fear of being booed as "Judas", so Raúl took him by the hand and went in front of the fans together with him and the DFB-Pokal, and thus no one dared to boo or whistle, but they got celebrated. Grande Raúl :bow:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:31 pm

zizzle wrote:
Valkyrja wrote:
3 times CL winner: Check
Big game player: Check
Consistent top scorer: Check
Makes his team play better: Check
Hard worker: Check
Nation team achievements: Check

Now i know that Madrid fans hate Eto'o and he gave them a lot of good reasons to, but for the sake of being objective, how is he not on Rauls level to say the least?
Eto'o was a very good player, but not a legend like Ronaldo (original) nor Raul. It seems to me you guys are too young to know of what Raul did. he made it when only 17, scored 500 goals, was by far the best Spanish player for years. He did decline as he aged, but that doesn't deter from his legendary status. And he was and is a class act, something that Nick just doesn't seem to accept.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:37 pm

Raul is at the same level as both Eto and Ronaldo and Eto is a legendary forward. My opinion on that minor matter.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:57 pm

Whether Eto'o is "more legendary" than Raúl or not depends wholly on who you ask, to be fair.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:12 pm

When you think of Eto'o' best years ( 5 years) you think of Ronaldinho, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi.

When you think of Raul's best years (14 years), you think of Raul.

5 years as a third or fourth best player does not make for a legend!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:18 pm

futbol_bill wrote:When you think of Eto'o' best years ( 5 years) you think of Ronaldinho, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi.

When you think of Raul's best years (14 years), you think of Raul.

5 years as a third or fourth best player does not make for a legend!

+1
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:21 pm

I don't know, I think of Eto when thinking of Eto but to each his own.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:27 pm

Are you saying Eto'o was better than Ronaldino, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta (even Ibra or Henry) or Milito at Milan?

and it's only over a 5 year period. He was a very good player, but calling him legendary is a stretch.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:32 pm

I am saying I think of Eto when thinking of Eto. The man forged his own legacy among the greats at Barcelona and to me, it was stuff to be considered iconic or even legendary.

I mean, in those 5 years, he did more than Guti did in his entire career at Madrid and that transvestite loving clown is considered legendary.

Like I said, it's my opinion on a minor matter.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:38 pm

Raul played with Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, and a long list of legendary players for the most part of his career. My memories of Raul (starting in 1999-2000) is being one of the Galacticos, and like i said, at that time i didnt think he was as big of a star as they were.

Oh well, lets not derail the thread, to each his own.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:43 pm

Guti should never be considered legenary LOL. He was a bench player for the majority of his career and never ever considered to be best on team. Your definition of Eto'o being legendary belittles the title.

And re the likes of Zigo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Van Gol, Raul was there (and best player) for 10 years before they arrived!

i guess you guys are just too young to have seen the best of Raul!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Socur Toxanarosa Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:56 pm

Valkyrja wrote:
Socur Toxanarosa wrote:One of the most overrated players ever.

You tried to look smart, but made a fool of your self. Overrated, underrated, who cares. Still better than any footballer Chelsea FC ever had. Just gtfo. Raul was a football genius.

Just no. Very good player, world class at his best, but that's it. Messi is a genius, R9 is a genius, Zidane is a genius, Romário is a genius, Raul is NOT. Not even close Laughing

And not that i care about this, but we had a bunch of players at least on his level during the Abramovich Era already. Much prefer Robben, Ballack, Lampard and Drogba instead of Raul.
Socur Toxanarosa
Socur Toxanarosa
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:46 am

its a bit of a stretch to say raul had 14 best years. cos you're probably looking at when he started his real madrid career till when he left madrid. i'd say his top years were the 97 season till the end of the 03 season. prior to 97 he was still looked at as having potential. from 97 onward, we knew what to expect. and after the operation that saw him miss the return leg to utd at old trafford in 03, he was never the same great raul anymore...though he had moments of brilliance at schalke and in 2 of his later years at madrid. i won't call him a genius, but at his peak he was extremely intelligent and a fighter. there where times he outperformed a lot of the galacticos on the teams between 2000-03. and had he played that 2nd leg at old trafford, considering how he ran riot in the first leg, and ronaldo's  (el phenomeno) form, it might have been a massacre
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:47 am

Feels like he's been retired for ages now.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:17 am

He was GOAT. He will be always reminded as The star of a winner Real Madrid, a thing that probably CR won't do although 2'0000 goals scored .. or at least not with same impact.
Shame not having won with own national team , he has played with a fraud generation (it's better not remind the long list of fraud signed by Serie A in those years ffs ) and even when he could go on , you had the South Korea to steal you the dream ( one of worst refereeings ever seen ) .
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:21 am

Hey Robes, what you mean by fraud generation?
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:33 am

Mendieta, Farinos  ,   De La Pena , Donato ( Spain °10 ffs Laughing ) , Alfonso,  Angulo , Jose Mari  etc
i remind also that Portillo..

Perhaps I generalized but I mean the generation didn't live up to Raul , Hierro or Guardiola...shame he met that generation and not this
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:41 am

Robespierre wrote:Mendieta, Farinos  ,   De La Pena , Donato ( Spain °10 ffs Laughing ) , Alfonso,  Angulo , Jose Mari  etc
i remind also that Portillo..

Perhaps I generalized but I mean the generation didn't live up to Raul , Hierro or Guardiola...shame he met that generation and not this

lol immediately you talked about the frauds signed by serie a with your earlier post, the first name i though of was mendieta. truth is, even guardiola had passed his peak for spain by the time raul came along. guardiola by the late 90s wasn't far from what he was in 92, 93, 94. even if raul scored that penalty he missed against france in euro 00, with that midfield spain had, prime figo would have destroyed them with one eye closed
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:43 am

titosantill wrote:truth is, even guardiola had passed his peak for spain by the time raul came along. guardiola by the late 90s WAS far from what he was in 92, 93, 94.
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:53 am

yes Guardiola had not be included , I've mistaken.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:55 am

Samu is easily one of the best forwards of all-time. A legend of his generation? Absolutely.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:05 am

Pip wrote:Samu is easily one of the best forwards of all-time. A legend of his generation? Absolutely.

totally agreed, but I don't get because he is often underrated.
he wins everything as difference maker in Barca  , but it s because of Dinho  . he makes same thing with Inter, but it is because of Milito. So is he just a lucky man ? or simply is he a real factor for the successes ? Always someone to obscure him , although goals, performance , class, titles, leadership...  
About the comparison with Raul , I believe they are  basically same level, same status legend, personally if I must choose between 2 to have in my team , I take Eto'o .
but it's debatable. you'will anyone you take
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next