Zealous
free_cat
Nishankly
Le Samourai
juanamo
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Biggest clubs who have yet to win the European Cup/Champions League Empty Biggest clubs who have yet to win the European Cup/Champions League

Post by juanamo Tue May 22, 2012 9:41 am

Arsenal, Roma and Valencia are the 3 teams that come mind first. all 3 teams have gotten withen distances of winning it, Arsenal and Roma losing a final each, and Valencia losing 2 finals on a row.

now a lot of bandwagnors consider these clubs as small, or at least not big worldwide, but if you have watched (European) football for more than 20 years like I have, these are traditioniol big clubs with great history and great players. at this moment they may not be very succesful, but their time may come, specially Arsenal and Roma, who have built great foundations for succes in the future. I don't know about Valencia's future state and the continuing duopoly (barca madrid domination) in Spain, but i hope they can come back. through the 90-ies and mid-2000s they were a force to a force to be reckoned with, both in Spain and in Europe.

anway these are 3 biggest clubs who have yet to win the champions league...if there are teams i have forgot, please list them

juanamo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Biggest clubs who have yet to win the European Cup/Champions League Empty Re: Biggest clubs who have yet to win the European Cup/Champions League

Post by Le Samourai Tue May 22, 2012 9:51 am

As In fanbase I suppose?

Well Bilbao is a historically more succesful club than Valencia.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Biggest clubs who have yet to win the European Cup/Champions League Empty Re: Biggest clubs who have yet to win the European Cup/Champions League

Post by Nishankly Tue May 22, 2012 9:55 am

Nowdays City have a decent plastic fanbase and could be termed as a big club, I don't think they won it ever.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Tue May 22, 2012 10:27 am

Man City, Arsenal, Olympique Lyon, Valencia and Roma are probably the biggest ones without a title.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue May 22, 2012 10:52 am

Well if we're going to count City may as well count PSG hmm
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Tue May 22, 2012 11:00 am

Arsenal are the big one
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue May 22, 2012 11:02 am

A club like Arsenal should've won the CL by now.Its a shame you know.13 league titles and only a mere Cup winners' Cup to their name in Europe.`
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue May 22, 2012 11:08 am

Valencia, Stade de Reims, Fiorentina, Eintracht Frankfurt, Partizan, Panathinaikos, Atletico Madrid, Leeds, Saint-Étienne, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Brugge, Malmö, Roma, Sampdoria, Leverkusen, Monaco, Arsenal...

Q: What do all of these clubs have in common?

A: They have all been runners up in the Champions League/European Cup, but have never won the competition. From that list, Valencia and Stade de Reims are the only teams to have come second twice. Not all of these clubs seem 'big' now, however they were obviously very significant teams in their era.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by launchpad Tue May 22, 2012 11:13 am

I would say Arsenal is the biggest club devoid of UCL Trophy.

If they do it during Arsene Wenger's tenure it would be a great honour to the legend.
launchpad
launchpad
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by juanamo Tue May 22, 2012 11:20 am

forza rossoneri, you are partially right...

but the trio of arsenal, roma and valencia have always been and are still significant clubs in their respective leagues and even in europe. arsenal roma and valencia are always near the top in their leagues and are regular teams in the champions league... u can't say the same about most of those teams u mentioned above.

i don't define a big club by a single european final appearance, but how long their history is and how much they have accomplished during their history, and if they are still a significant club today. many people don't consider clubs like ajax, benfica and porto as ''big'' now adays, even though they are still relevant clubs in football, and are still regular champions league teams. this is foolish to think.

roma valencia and arsenal are still relevant clubs, even though their golden era's have gone, and upcomers like city and psg, and even malaga will be relevant in the coming years, and that's what makes a big club in my opinion.

juanamo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue May 22, 2012 11:42 am

Ok, continuing on this train of thought about defining 'big' clubs by how much they have accomplished in their history...

Q: Is a team that has won two Champions Leagues classified as a 'big' club?

A: Yes. Benfica (1961, 1962) still big, Juventus (1985, 1986) still big, Porto (1987) still big.

Alternate answer: No. Nottingham Forest (1979, 1980) have declined massively since then. Irrelevant now, but a historically important team.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue May 22, 2012 11:46 am

Dortmund also won one CL (1997) and totally sank afterwards. But hopefully they will be back properly next season.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue May 22, 2012 11:53 am

So glad Chelsea are no longer on this list.

Anyway, it has to be Arsenal.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue May 22, 2012 11:54 am

Hamburg, Steaua Bucharest, Celtic, Marseille, Feyenoord, Aston Villa, PSV Eindhoven and Red Star Belgrade also have 1 CL and are not 'big' European clubs in terms of current relevance.

Ajax demonstrates this even more emphatically. 4 CLs and 2 times runners-up.

Nobody seriously believes that any of these clubs will have a good chance of winning the CL in the next few years. Porto and Benfica could possibly be put in this category as well.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue May 22, 2012 12:06 pm

juanamo wrote:

but the trio of arsenal, roma and valencia have always been and are still significant clubs in their respective leagues and even in europe. arsenal roma and valencia are always near the top in their leagues and are regular teams in the champions league... u can't say the same about most of those teams u mentioned above.

not really tbh... this season was the first ever where we qualified for cl 3 times in a row, we've only got 6 league titles... hell we were in segunda in the 80s... beginning of this century was the best period in valencia's history, by quite some distance
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Tue May 22, 2012 12:26 pm

I can't believe there are one or two who mentioned Man City as a big club :facepalm:

Arsenal comes to my mind. Their team in 04 should have been good enough to win the comp but they flopped. They'll be hurting knowing they should have been the first London team to win the CL, not Chelsea.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Tue May 22, 2012 1:57 pm

I do think Arsenal will never win it with Wenger at the helm.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue May 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Barrettinator wrote:I do think Arsenal will never win it with Wenger at the helm.
I agree. Wenger had his chance to win the CL and the team has declined since then. I think a new approach with fresh ideas is needed to turn things around. Some serious investment is needed. I was always skeptical about the M'Vila deal because Arsene has never spent anywhere near 22mil. Just putting that out there, obviously the Arsenal fans would know more about this than me (although I think they don't criticise Wenger enough due to his past achievements with the club).
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue May 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Arsene Wenger will win it when our board starts again to not sell our best players - and hopefully it starts with van Persie this year.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 22, 2012 2:24 pm

Has Schalke won a CL?
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue May 22, 2012 2:37 pm

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:Has Schalke won a CL?
No
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue May 22, 2012 2:39 pm

Schalke won the UEFA Cup in 1997 when Dortmund won the CL in 1997. They were quite a bit annoyed that they had European success, but still were outshone by Dortmund ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Tue May 22, 2012 2:41 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Arsene Wenger will win it when our board starts again to not sell our best players - and hopefully it starts with van Persie this year.
It takes guts, determination and rollocks to win the CL. Present day Wenger has none of these anymore. Ask yourself this, if it were Arsenal who had gone 1-0 down in the 83rd minute of the final, would they still have come back and won it? I doubt it.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Tue May 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Forza Rossoneri wrote:Hamburg, Steaua Bucharest, Celtic, Marseille, Feyenoord, Aston Villa, PSV Eindhoven and Red Star Belgrade also have 1 CL and are not 'big' European clubs in terms of current relevance.

Ajax demonstrates this even more emphatically. 4 CLs and 2 times runners-up.

Nobody seriously believes that any of these clubs will have a good chance of winning the CL in the next few years. Porto and Benfica could possibly be put in this category as well.

I have always thought that if Ajax could keep ,let's say just half , of the best players they have sold the last 10-12 years , they would be really huge today , they would be at least on par with Bayern and Liverpool , in CL terms . I have immense respect for Ajax , they know about football better than anyone , it's just a pity they don't have the money they need.

And that's the reason , many of the afforementioned teams here had to deal with after their successes. They couldn't keep their best players away from the rich clubs and they have quietly dissapeared from the big scene afterwards.

_

Arsenal is certainly the biggest club that haven't won the CL , then folows Valencia & Roma . They are big clubs though , this hasn't changed , because they usually produce and compete .
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Tue May 22, 2012 2:46 pm

Schalke should be considered then

Financially theyre definitely bigger than Valencia, and Roma IIRC
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next