Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time?

+64
El Blanco Madridista
Perucho21
Mr Nick09
Claudio84
Hapless_Hans
guest_07
Nivash
futbol_bill
The Demon of Carthage
rwo power
sree999
M99
Kick
Thimmy
LeVersacci
Jack Daniels
shadexticos
terrance511
Lupi
Beautiful Football
futbol
titosantill
Nedved
jibers
Robespierre
Killer
Motogp69
Uncanny
sportsczy
chad4401
Cyborg
buddytaller
Adit
Pedram
halamadrid2
FalcaoPunch
izzy
Arquitecto
Doc
Valkyrja
Babun
Kuru
guest7
LeBĂ©ninois
FennecFox7
Le Samourai
VanDeezNuts
punkfusion1992
EarlyPrototype
Zealous
teamanarchy
Lord Hades
LeSwagg James
BarrileteCosmico
RealGunner
ijomer
Calebvision
the xcx
StevieRayVaughan
Mamad
Onyx
la bestia negra
Ganso
raulmadrid4vr
68 posters

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down

Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time? Empty Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time?

Post by raulmadrid4vr Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:37 pm

nobody can deny that he is overrated. nobody. but just HOW overrated is he? a lot. lets see his pros and cons:

pros:

- best free kick taker in world right now (although i dont remember another time with such a low number of free kick experts). he is still not amazing at it... as his conversion rate is not good. he converts maybe 6/7 free kicks a season in all competitions. no more than 10 max. many players will get these numbers if they are allowed to take every single free kick. henry is an example. he wasnt even a free kick taker but since he was everything for arsenal, he took free kicks and he ended up scoring some. yes i know crystianas can be really beautiful but how many tries does it take him? nevertheless i give him this as a pro.

- ball control/dribbling. he is an expert at this no question asked. he lives for it.

- shooting: strong shots, sometimes accurate, specially when in the box.

- heading

- speed

summary: technically he is good

cons:

dribbling: is successful 1/5 dribbles. loses the ball too much, resulting in losing scoring chances, which is highly detrimental to the team. therefore his talent is pointless.

shooting: poor accuracy. most of the time shoots it straight at the keeper from far or wide/high.

'but he scored 400 goals.' yes, but lets deduct free kicks and penalties when we are talking about 'goals.' no other player takes every single penalty and free kick so its not fair to include these goals when talking in the context of 'goalscoring' because it implies goals from open play. first of all, he plays for real madrid, a team that scores 3 goals a game and dominates most opposition. this alone guarantees a lot of goals for its offensive players.

lets look at 2009-2010 season when crystiana was a striker along with higuain. he scored 33 in 35 in all competitions. higuain scored 29 in 40. however, higuain had 0 penalties (maybe 1 i dont remember) and 0 free kicks.

stats for crystians goals for that season:

penalty goals: 4
free kick goals: 6
open play goals: 23 (6 tap is into empty goal and 3 headers)

so 23/35 from open play which is .66/game

source:

a youtube video with all 33 goals in 2009/2010 season (it isnt letting me post link).

higuain scored 29/40 which is .73/game, and we must note that higuain subbed on in last 10/20 mins for benzema in the first 6/7 games but crystiana got subbed off maybe twice the whole season if under 85 minutes. so lets take 2 games off higuains total. this means 29/38 games which means .76/game. so clearly higuain is a better scorer and striker than crystiana, and there are 3/4 other strikers in the world on higuains level so crystiana is not even top 5 when it comes to being a striker or a goalscorer. oh and assists... according to espn, crystiana got 7 assists in the liga that season and higuain got 5, which is a very small difference.

more stats:

according to goal.com, last season, it took crystiana 9 shots to score 1 goal. for messi it was 6. this would make crystiana have the worse shot/goal ratio out of the entire top 10 goal scorers in the league.

for perspective: here are stats for this seasons shot/goal ratio of the top 10 scorers in la liga so far according to espn, which i have adjusted to take away penalty goals because it would skew the results:

1. crystiana- 11 goals, 88 shots; 9/goal
messi- 16 goals, 79 shots; 4.9/goal
3. higuain- 12 goals, 30 shots; 2.5/goal
4. soldado- 9 goals, 38 shots; 4.2/goal
falcao- 6 goals, 36 shots; 6/goal
6. fabregas- 8 goals, 18 shots; 2/goal
benzema- 8 goals, 33 shots; 4.1/goal
8. juanlu- 6 goals, 27 shots; 4.5/goal
llorente- 6 goals 35 shots; 5.8/goal
barral- 6 goals, 43 shots; 7.2/goal

and one last set of stats is goals/min for the current season thus far, according to fox sports, of which i also took away penalties so results wont be skewed:

crystiana: goals: 11; minutes played: 1293
mins/goal: 118

messi: goals: 16; minutes played: 1377
mins/goal: 86

higuain: goals: 12; minutes played: 709
mins/goal: 59

falcao: goals: 6; minutes played: 1043
mins/goal: 173

soldado: goals: 9; minutes played: 1093
mins/goal: 121

benzema: goals: 8; minutes played: 728
mins/goal: 91

fabregas: goals: 8; minutes played: 842
mins/goal: 105

barral: goals: 6; minutes played: 1090
mins/goal: 182

juanlu: goals: 6; minutes played: 963
mins/goal: 161

llorente: goals: 6; minutes played: 1098
mins/goal: 183

so that means

messi
higuain
benzema
fabregas
soldado (only 3 mins diff, and read last paragraph of this post)

are all much more clinical. btw, i left free kicks alone, so crystiana has an ADVANTAGE here as he takes every single free kick. yet he still couldnt use that to boost his percentage. now, if we look at the other players:

the others: just look at the teams they play for. look at who they have for support. does it match the likes of xabi alonso, ozil, kaka, di maria (most assists in league so far with 11)? and look how many goals their team scored, does it match the league dominating 50 from madrid?

so is there anyone that still says he is not overrated? he is a top 10 player in the world at best; he has NEVER been top 3 in the world.

Last edited by raulmadrid4vr on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
raulmadrid4vr
raulmadrid4vr
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time? Empty Re: Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time?

Post by Ganso Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:40 pm

hes not the best free kick taker in the world...
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time? Empty Re: Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time?

Post by la bestia negra Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Ganso wrote:hes not the best free kick taker in the world...

king juninho is :bow:
la bestia negra
la bestia negra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Ronaldo is good at shooting and dribbling since we've seen him do it all before, but more often than not nowadays he only scores tap ins and set pieces.

It's why I prefer someone like Aguero or Benzema since they are all round better players than Ronaldo.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Yes. he is overrated.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:53 pm

supra969 wrote:
Ganso wrote:hes not the best free kick taker in the world...

king juninho is :bow:
for me its between him and sneijder.even villa takes better free kicks
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:55 pm

You Madrid fans are so fickle and sometimes vastly undereducated. You really think if ronaldo leaves the likes of Benzema and Higuain will replace his value/goals/assists to the team? Ronaldo is put under a microscope by other teams, he is always tightly marked. I want to see how higuain and Benz will react to such tight marking.

53 goals last year? Some from penalties, some from free-kicks, some from tap-ins, but you think anyone in the team has the ability to score the different types of goals like him? Ronaldo can score screamers, tap-ins, free-kicks, impeccable penalties, headers....I dont even think Messi has this versatility (even though he is a superior player in what he does). There is a reason why you guys paid 94mil for him. Learn to appreciate.

You guys (Real madrid fans) really need to get your shit together. I will always support Real over Barca and I hope you beat Sevilla today. But just giving you a neutral perspective on this issue.

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:02 pm

Mr.Hendrix wrote:You Madrid fans are so fickle and sometimes vastly undereducated. You really think if ronaldo leaves the likes of Benzema and Higuain will replace his value/goals/assists to the team? Ronaldo is put under a microscope by other teams, he is always tightly marked. I want to see how higuain and Benz will react to such tight marking.

53 goals last year? Some from penalties, some from free-kicks, some from tap-ins, but you think anyone in the team has the ability to score the different types of goals like him? Ronaldo can score screamers, tap-ins, free-kicks, impeccable penalties, headers....I dont even think Messi has this versatility (even though he is a superior player in what he does). There is a reason why you guys paid 94mil for him. Learn to appreciate.

You guys (Real madrid fans) really need to get your shit together. I will always support Real over Barca and I hope you beat Sevilla today. But just giving you a neutral perspective on this issue.
Thumbs up
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by Calebvision Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:10 pm

Mr.Hendrix wrote:You Madrid fans are so fickle and sometimes vastly undereducated. You really think if ronaldo leaves the likes of Benzema and Higuain will replace his value/goals/assists to the team? Ronaldo is put under a microscope by other teams, he is always tightly marked. I want to see how higuain and Benz will react to such tight marking.

He's beem "mega productive" over several years, but, he's not all that good! Yeah, ok!

I don't think that many people realize that he's treated "specially" by the opponents, as opposed to Higuain and Benzema.

Mourinho doesn't realize that Higuain should be getting Ronaldo's minutes, because Higuain is a better player and more "efficient"! The posters on this board kno wmore about tema selection than Mourinho!

Calebvision
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by ijomer Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:36 pm

Smart!

the likes of Babun, Mamad and the creator of this thread need critical IQ check because i am very assured they will fall under the category of mentally ill :coffee:

As for Ganso, watch how many threads il make about your club superstar Naymar's shitty performance tomorrow when he will be invisible against barca and your team will lose 100%, so need to watch it... and coming to our section and talking crap and stirring up fights...

ijomer
ijomer
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by raulmadrid4vr Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:44 pm

ijomer wrote:

Smart!

the likes of Babun, Mamad and the creator of this thread need critical IQ check because i am very assured they will fall under the category of mentally ill :coffee:

As for Ganso, watch how many threads il make about your club superstar Naymar's shitty performance tomorrow when he will be invisible against barca and your team will lose 100%, so need to watch it... and coming to our section and talking crap and stirring up fights...

its my first day here and this is not a good sign. people like you who have nothing to offer except outrageous opinions with 0 support or analysis, yet personally insult other posters should be banned!
raulmadrid4vr
raulmadrid4vr
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:56 pm

Wtf are you talking about you prick,when did I start a fight in here?u mad I made a thread on the rb section of your mentally illl comment on pepe being better than silva?
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ijomer Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Exactly, its your first day.. how about you learn how to respect the club, and know this place around and stop making such atrocious and problematic thread...?

As you have 0 experience and trying to state something with barely being here for more than a few days... is the problem.

Trolls like you with only 6 posts and trying to create divisions and problems and arguments within the club are not welcome.

please deactivate Smile
ijomer
ijomer
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:59 pm

5th hatrick of the season..

115 goals in 113 app

over rated ? Hell no
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by ijomer Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:04 am

RealGunner wrote:5th hatrick of the season..

115 goals in 113 app

over rated ? Hell no

And that's why you're an Admin :bow:
ijomer
ijomer
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by raulmadrid4vr Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:08 am

ijomer wrote:Exactly, its your first day.. how about you learn how to respect the club, and know this place around and stop making such atrocious and problematic thread...?

As you have 0 experience and trying to state something with barely being here for more than a few days... is the problem.

Trolls like you with only 6 posts and trying to create divisions and problems and arguments within the club are not welcome.

please deactivate Smile

you are a crystiana lover so that says everything about you. it would be likely that i have been a fan before you even started following football. so instead of coming here and trying to troll and worship crystiana, maybe you should put yourself to good use. so when you gain experience in a forum your thoughts and opinions automatically matter? lol. how illogical but then again you being a crystiana worshipper clears it. stay out of my threads if you have 0 intellectual capability to argue and resort to childish name calling and trolling.
raulmadrid4vr
raulmadrid4vr
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:27 am

It's not just about stats though.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by raulmadrid4vr Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:41 am

mtfootball wrote:It's not just about stats though.

nobody said that. if you watch him play, you would also know he is overrated. di maria and callejon were both better but he gets all the credit for a training ground shot and penalty benzema won, but il give him the first goal.
raulmadrid4vr
raulmadrid4vr
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by raulmadrid4vr Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:51 am

115 goals in 113 app

over rated ? Hell no

rauls hatrick with schalke was more impressive today. Very Happy

raulmadrid4vr
raulmadrid4vr
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by ijomer Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:23 am

raulmadrid4vr wrote:

115 goals in 113 app

over rated ? Hell no

Raul is a legend of Real Madrid!

but still so irrelevant how your brain brought that as a counter argument.

You will never ever ever be able to score a goal like how ronaldo did today, his second goal.

back on topic, It must be said that someone who has scored 115 goals in 113 app is not overrated as VERY few players... actually besides messi and CR no one is able to have such an impressive goal to game ratio.

I don't even take trolls like you seriously, you sound like someone who just found out about real madrid and its prestige and glory.

CR7 has had some bad games, but then again who hasn't? he is the reason we go into 2012 with a 3 point lead... many of his goals have been decisive, just like today his first goal weakened the strong morale of the Sevilla side.

Anyways trolls like you can keep shitting while his reaction after the 2nd goal was just for you "jizzing" on haters like you.

Madrid DOES NOT need division. Every player is valuable, and has his own place in the team. Friction brought about by trolls like you is not needed, as some of our best posters had to leave because of idiotic ppl like yourself.

Lastly, I want to congratulate everyone for going into 2012 as leaders. HALA MADRID! La Dacima is within reach!
ijomer
ijomer
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by ijomer Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:44 am

Ganso wrote:Wtf are you talking about you prick,when did I start a fight in here?u mad I made a thread on the rb section of your mentally illl comment on pepe being better than silva?

Santos will still lose!

Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time? Tumblr_le3z01eAUi1qdodh0
ijomer
ijomer
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:47 am

Who knew Ronaldo would ever be underrated in this section...

Must be his calf size.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by raulmadrid4vr Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:53 am

ijomer wrote:
raulmadrid4vr wrote:

115 goals in 113 app

over rated ? Hell no

Raul is a legend of Real Madrid!

but still so irrelevant how your brain brought that as a counter argument.

You will never ever ever be able to score a goal like how ronaldo did today, his second goal.

back on topic, It must be said that someone who has scored 115 goals in 113 app is not overrated as VERY few players... actually besides messi and CR no one is able to have such an impressive goal to game ratio.

I don't even take trolls like you seriously, you sound like someone who just found out about real madrid and its prestige and glory.

CR7 has had some bad games, but then again who hasn't? he is the reason we go into 2012 with a 3 point lead... many of his goals have been decisive, just like today his first goal weakened the strong morale of the Sevilla side.

Anyways trolls like you can keep shitting while his reaction after the 2nd goal was just for you "jizzing" on haters like you.

Madrid DOES NOT need division. Every player is valuable, and has his own place in the team. Friction brought about by trolls like you is not needed, as some of our best posters had to leave because of idiotic ppl like yourself.

Lastly, I want to congratulate everyone for going into 2012 as leaders. HALA MADRID! La Dacima is within reach!

it wasnt a counter argument.. it was just something interesting to note.

you are still throwing childish personal attacks like 'troll' around? people can see and determine who is a troll, you dont need to mention it every single post. the need you have to mention it already proves everything. plus, it is interesting how you say you dont take me seriously yet i caused you to take off your cristiano pictures in your sig. Smile

again, you are just throwing stats without analyzing. look at all the analyzing and breaking down of the stats i did in this topic.

i already told you, i was following real madrid from the 90s, which is probably before you started following football.

are you insulting peoples intelligence here by constantly stating 'madrid doesnt need division?' this is obvious, the need for you to say it is only because [apparently] you have nothing of value to say so you compensate with this politically correct 'filler talk' in order to try to get people on your side. its not like cristiano or mourinho or the press can hear any of us here. it is healthy to talk about who should play and such, for the benefit of the team. you cant just sweep problems under the rug. being politically correct and saying 'hala madrid' to get people on your side means you are a bad fan, because you add nothing to discussions regarding changing the team for better. i am done with you until you mature or add something of value here. luckily you are the only member like this here so far.

HALA MADRID. a madrid fan since 90s. Smile
raulmadrid4vr
raulmadrid4vr
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:48 am

I think this guy is on to something
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by ijomer Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:15 am

Swagg_Johnson wrote:I think this guy is on to something
:facepalm:
ijomer
ijomer
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next