The Madrid One
Le Samourai
Ganso
Zealous
StrugaRock
33 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

StrugRock Special: Real Madrid vs Lyon - Match Discussion  Empty StrugRock Special: Real Madrid vs Lyon - Match Discussion

Post by StrugaRock Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:41 am

Real Madrid vs Olympique Lyonnais
Santiago Bernabeu
Tuesday 18/10/2011 20:45 CET

StrugRock Special: Real Madrid vs Lyon - Match Discussion  Real-madrid-vs-olympique-lyon-motd-match-of-the-day-624x352px

The Champions League is back on the radar and Real Madrid who top Group D are set to play with Olympique Lyonnais on Tuesday evening.

Real Madrid did their homework on Saturday by defeating Real Betis with a hattrick by an on form Higuain and a wonderful goal from Kaka. Meanwhile Lyon won vs Nancy 3-1, a brace by Bastos and a goal from Gomis.

Last year's last 16 drew Real Madrid and Lyon, Real Madrid won 4-1 on aggregate and for the first time they won a match vs Lyon, also worth mentioning they broke the "last 16 curse" that lasted 6 seasons.
A good news for Madrid is that players such as Kaka, Ronaldo and Higuain are on red hot form especially Kaka who seems to return to his old self again and could prove a vital part in next Champions League clash.
Lyon will be delighted to have Gourcuff back after he made an appearance vs Nancy who replaced Grenier with Yoann Gourcuff just before half-time. With Toulalan leaving for Malaga in the summer, Lyon had to fill the gap in the midfield, but on form Bastos and Gomis means that Lyon could be a very dangerous opponent for Madrid. They are sitting 3rd in the league table.

Record

Real Madrid: D-W-W-W-W
Sep 21, 2011 Racing Santander 0 - 0 Real madrid
Sep 24, 2011 Real Madrid 6 - 2 Rayo Vallecano
Sep 27, 2011 Real Madrid 3 - 0 Ajax
Oct 2, 2011 Espanyol 0 - 4 Real Madrid
Oct 15, 2011 Real Madrid 4 - 1 Real Betis

Olympique Lyonnais: L-W-W-L-W
Sep 21, 2011 SM Caen 1 - 0 Lyon
Sep 24, 2011 Lyon 3 - 1 Bordeaux
Sep 27, 2011 Lyon 2 - 0 Dinamo Zagreb
Oct 2, 2011 PSG 2 - 0 Lyon
Oct 15, 2011 Lyon 3 - 1 Nancy

Team List:
Real Madrid:
GK: Casillas, Adán and Tomás Mejías.
DF: Ramos, Arbeloa, Varane, Marcelo and Pepe.
MF: Özil, Xabi Alonso, Callejón, Di María, Khedira, Kaká, Coentrão, Granero and Altintop.
ST: Cristiano Ronaldo, Benzema and Higuaín.

Olympique Lyonnais:(Due to confirm)

Danger-man:

Real Madrid: Kaka'
The Brazilian has been in red hot form last couple of weeks and is showing signs of his old self benching Di Maria on the process. His creativity and smell for goals would give Lyon's defense something to worry about.

Olympique Lyonnais: Bastos
Another Brazilian on the danger list, the left winger, who was close to joining Juventus this summer, has been on top form for Lyon this season scoring 4 goals and getting 5 assist in the process. Real Madrid's right back would have to be on it's toes because Bastos could prove to be dangerous if given the freedom.

Prediction:
Real Madrid 3 - 1 Olympique Lyonnais

Last edited by StrugaRock on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
StrugaRock
StrugaRock
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

StrugRock Special: Real Madrid vs Lyon - Match Discussion  Empty Re: StrugRock Special: Real Madrid vs Lyon - Match Discussion

Post by Zealous Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:48 am

It'll be a tough game but hopefully we pull out the win.

Would like a clean sheet as well so a 2-0 would be awesome.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

StrugRock Special: Real Madrid vs Lyon - Match Discussion  Empty Re: StrugRock Special: Real Madrid vs Lyon - Match Discussion

Post by Ganso Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:53 am

Bastos is on fire,Ramos must be careful
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:08 am

This is gonna be a pretty easy win IMO. Hopefully I'm not wrong.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:24 am

karim HAS to play.

for his own good...
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:01 am

I don't think it will be an easy or hard game, but I do think we'll be the better team and control the game.

Real Madrid 2-0 Lyon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turok_TTZ Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:04 am

Lyon will be delighted to have Gourcuff back
Honestly, I Lol'd StrugRock Special: Real Madrid vs Lyon - Match Discussion  Zo6s7o

OLpower or Sport can assure us that Gourcuff is nobody to be concerned with. (sorry OLpower)

Pjanic wud have worried me but thankfully Lyon sold him off to Roma.
to put it simply: What's a gourcuff ? Very Happy
Turok_TTZ
Turok_TTZ
First Team
First Team

http://trm.jcink.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:17 am

beating lyon gives so much of satisfaction .. its second only to beating those catalans.. plus we still have to improve that aweful record against them.. have to be careful in defense though. and not let them get an early goal..rayo got one,ajax almost got one, betis were impressive early on ,lyon might not be so forgiving
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:43 am

As long as Marcelo plays we will win Cool
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:57 am

Lyon is much improved over last year both in terms of tactics and confidence... Garde has made a big difference as the new manager. They lost against PSG because Garde made a poor tactical choice in that game: Going to a 4-2-3-1. PSG has a weak midfield and they should have played a 4-3-3 to take advantage.

New players: Gonalons (beast; actually playing a lot better than Toulalan), Kone (doing very well; much better than Cris), Lacazette, Fofana, Grenier (injured).

Likely available: Lisandro

Expected starting lineup:
Reveillere-Kone-Lovren-Cissoko
Kallstrom-Gonalons-Gourcuff (or Fofana)
Bastos-Gomis-Lisandro (or Lacazette or Briand)

Bastos and Gomis are in great form.

It will be a tough game.

Last edited by sportsczy on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:38 am

We're at the Bernabeu so as tough as the game could be I'm confident we can get a good result.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:39 am

Zealous wrote:We're at the Bernabeu so as tough as the game could be I'm confident we can get a good result.

Higuain has scored 52 of his 85 goals for Real Madrid at the Bernabeu Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:43 am

Much better opponent that any we have faced so far other than the supercup. True test of our team.

It's also CL and not La Liga. Physical play will be allowed lol. There will be no free runs into the box or uncontested build ups in the middle.

I still think we beat them if we play our game. But unsure as to how good or bad we'll look.

Last edited by sportsczy on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:47 am

If Lyon like to hold on to the ball then we'll have the advantage immediately. We can dictate play really well but it's obvious where our largest strength lies.

A part of me is expecting an easy win if I'm honest but then again you can never take anything for granted.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:52 am

Imo, physical play is a bit overplayed now when talking about Lyon. They are not going to bully us, no chance it happens. I actually think that physical play is more severely rated in CL, specially when they are coming to our stadium, with our fans, they wont get away with hard tackles.

Lyon is not that improved from last year, they are still a bit of a shaky team with an awful defense, that allows way to many attacks from the opposing team. Lloris has been the one keeping them so high in the league, but we have wc attackers and we will look to finish them.

They are organized, and i expect them to sit and counter, so breaking them up will be the most difficult thing. They dont specialize in counters, but they will try to feed Gomis, and given how big he is, he is the main threat as far as i am concerned.

We are not going to have any troubles if we focus on the task ahead imo.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:53 am

Last year, we overwhelmed them with our speed at Madrid. Cris, Gourcuff and Toulalan were way too slow. They won't be lacking in speed with Kone and Gonalons. Although i have Gourcuff in there, i think they go with Fofana to play ball recovery in the midfield.

I also think we'll be dominant at times. Remains to be seen if we're efficient in a very physical game. Again, we cannot give free kicks regularly to them. Gomis, Lovren and Kone are all good in the air. Ramos and Pepe may get exposed here with their incessant fouling. Lass isn't a good choice either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:58 am

I saw Lyon getting overran by Paris on counters, and they are not even that fast of a team. Pastore was going past Kone as if he was Usain Bolt.

I am not rating Lyon that highly this year. They lost the mental edge they used to have against us, and all those experienced and ballsy players that performed big in CL against top teams, precisely, Cris, Toulalan etc... A lot of young guys who are still susceptible to choke against us.

Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:59 am

Nick, you haven't watched Lyon much this year then. I've watched all their games.

On defense, they've only given up more than 1 goal once in all competitions (about 14 games) and that was to PSG (2 goals). Only 2 teams have been better than them defensively in Ligue 1. Clean sheets in both CL games so far against Zagreb and Ajax.

On offense, they've scored 23 goals in 14 games. In Ligue 1, they are top 5 in goals scored.

Much better than last year.

Last edited by sportsczy on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Garde messed up his tactics against PSG by only playing 2 mids... Gonalons and Kallstrom. Midfield was way too open. They'll have 3 mids for sure against Madrid.

Also, PSG has the fastest attack in the Europe imo. Nene, Menez, Pastore and Gameiro all rely on speed for their game. Lyon also missed two sitters (Gomis and Lacazette) or that game would've been 2-2. By far the worst game of the year for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:05 pm

I havent, but whenever i have, they didnt impress me at all. the last games i saw where PSG and Caen. And they simply allow teams to attack them a lot, but the finishing isnt there, just like PSG struggled to finish them at first, not surprised other teams couldnt.

I am not discussing their numbers, they are in the top brass of the league, and they arguably some of the best players as well + their long standing winning tradition for the past decade, they can play horribly and still win.

Physical factor is being overplayed here i feel.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:08 pm

PSG the fastest attack in europe? scratch come on.

If they start missing sitters in big games, it tells a bit of their mentality this year no? imo, they arent necessarily that much better, still in transition.

Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:13 pm

Pastore isn't even fast.

2-0 me thinks.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:14 pm

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:PSG the fastest attack in europe? scratch come on.

If they start missing sitters in big games, it tells a bit of their mentality this year no? imo, they arent necessarily that much better, still in transition.

I can't think of one other group of 4 attackers that have as much speed as PSG's... i was arguing this with a friend of mine a few weeks back. Like you, i shrugged it off to start because he brought it up. But then i realized that no other team has 4 players who specialize in speed counter attacks at the same time. We would challenge that if we started Di Maria and Higuain with Ozil and CR7. But then again, Gameiro is faster than Higuain. Other than us potentially, who else?

Last edited by sportsczy on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:19 pm

Lyon haven't played us yet though.

Like you said this is a real test, not just for us but for them as well.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Messi, Villa, Pedro/Sanchez and Iniesta.

Iniesta is as fast as Pastore.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next